The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am trying to train moonbeam and milky way... at the same time. since i only have the two if i try to train moonbeam, she just yells at milky way, who then decides she ought to be right next to me also. and if i try to train milky way it's the same way only reversed. so yesterday i got an idea, why not kill two birds with one stone and train them at the same time? moonbeam will learn she is third in line, and milky way will learn she is second in line. so i put the lead on milky way and used some rope to tie moonbeam to her. they kept getting destracted by the dogs but when they were paying attention they did well.
moonbeam tries to get beside milky way, so milky way has to butt her back in line. so, when i am training them, how much is too much for milky way to put moonbeam in her place? i understnd that they have to sorta fight it out but sometimes i think she is being to hard on moonbeam... moonbeam is about 14 wks and milky way is a yearling (born last jan.) so i dont want her to hurt moonbeam, but i do want moonbeam to learn her place... any suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I started with three at the same time. I didn't worry much about their position.

Initially, I just wanted them to get used to the lead. They would follow naturally, and the lead was more for my security because I wasn't so sure of what they would do. Also it was to keep them from bolting if a dog wanted to chase. I often tied the lead so that it was a loop. I could let them walk free, but pick it up with the hook of the staff if I needed to.

The only positioning I did was to keep them behind me since they naturally wanted to be ahead of me. I did this by swinging my staff from side to side.

Generally speaking, the goats pull their punches. When my young ones butt heads with the older ones, the older ones barely move their heads while the little ones rear up and go for it. Younger goats may not be so nice to each other and sometimes Curly would get double teamed by the other two. But with a little more time with them, I am more likely to let them do the goat thing rather than try to break them up.

If I am in the middle of them, I don't want them butting at all so I will give a small pop to any one who starts it. A small pop is a gentle slap on the side of the face or under the chin. It is not enough to hurt them, but just to get their attention.

Oh, and now that I have used a halter, if I were to do it over again, I would start them on the halter when trying to string them. They give to it much easier than the collar.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts