The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a hard time telling. I'm pretty sure she is pregnant--and she'd be about 2 1/2 months along at this time. Haven't seen her go back into heat, and her belly is looking very low and very round on both sides. What do you think?

Sorry I couldn't get a better pooch pic. Looks like her little poop hole is much lower, though... :p

Bess

Attachments

·
Registered
30,614 Posts
I agree...adorable!!! Hard to tell if she is bred...but she sure is cute

·
1,983 Posts
To me she looks bred, just based on the first pic it appears she has a baby bump to me. She is wicked cute. Do you sell their fiber or do you process it yourself? How is it to work with?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I process the wool myself, and don't sell it at this point. Maybe someday. ;) It is lovely to work with! Hana is only a year old, and her first coat got pretty badly matted, so I am looking forward to shearing her in the spring and doing something fun with her fiber. Maybe I should make them some goat coats for this winter...

Sunrisefarms--this is a great website for Nigora info!

http://nigoragoats.homestead.com/

Hopefully it will be a registered breed soon! I am on the breeder list right now, but haven't had any kids since last year. We are crossing our fingers that both girls will have babies this fall.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Why do you dehorn them? Angora are NOT because they would die from heat exhaustion without them. Some reason when people started crossing them and the Angora and the Pygmy with Angora they dehorned them.:shrug: I just don't understand that.

Also Angora are sheered twice a year why do you only sheer them once?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you dehorn them? Angora are NOT because they would die from heat exhaustion without them. Some reason when people started crossing them and the Angora and the Pygmy with Angora they dehorned them.:shrug: I just don't understand that.

Also Angora are sheered twice a year why do you only sheer them once?
I began my adventure with goats with Nigoras, and that's what was recommended to me by my breeder (who was very knowledgeable and had a farm full of healthy happy goats). Irma was an adult when I purchased her, and she had been disbudded as a baby. I had Hana disbudded when she was a baby. I have since met other Nigora breeders who do not disbud their goats, and some who do. Irma has somewhat of a longer coat, but has nowhere near the amount of fiber that a full blood angora has. Hana has a very light weight coat. They both seem to do just fine during the summer months, especially as they have recently been shorn. Most Nigoras tend to be more on the fluffy side and not have super heavy, hot fiber in the summer.

As to WHY I disbud them, I have my goats in a smallish area, and was concerned about horns getting stuck in fences and about them injuring themselves or others.

I have not seen a need to shear them more often than once a year. I shear them in the spring, and their coats don't grow all the way back in until the next spring. I love my goats very much, and if I saw that they were suffering for want of another shearing, they would absolutely be shorn again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts