Is this a silly idea?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by GSFarm, Dec 8, 2007.

1. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Lately I've been thinking a LOT about my future. It's always been a worry of mine and I already have my plans set up. I'm going to school for a five-semester program to become Veterinary Technician. I'm going to Columbia State Community College which is 1hr and 3 min from my front door. I'll be living at home and working nights and weekends at the local TSC or co-op :) Can you tell I'm prepared? lol

Anyways, about this time ayear I really focus on money problems, ( listen to me at 13 years old lol ) with Christmas and this year I'm thinking about the future as well and really want to put away some money for college and a car and gas. I was thinking a lot about earning money but since I'm only 13 (about to be 14) I was thinking about what I could do for a job and a light bulb just went on in my head! I could be a part time FARM HAND. It would 1.) give me an opportunity get involved with more animals 2.) allow me learn "tricks" and vet techniques to give me a head start on school and 3.) Help me improve my own farm!

Has anyone ever done any of these things before? What did you do? What did you charge? How did you find a job?

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I've been thinking about your questions- it is a problem for non-related farmers to hire underage kids- there are pretty strict rules for this in most states- most frequently you have to be 15 or 16 to be allowed to handle machinery or dangerous tools. There are limits on hours etc.
    You might think about "farm sitting" or pet sitting- ie taking care of peoples animals while they are away or ill. This way you could work hours that you can fit around school and get experience for your resume, etc. I know I would love to find a reliable person to do this for me- but make it a real business- no "I'll pay you a couple of dollars for 8 hours of work" rip off. Look into what people around charge or pay for this service.
    It's one thing I thought of -good luck

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    I work as a farm hand and I get paid $7-$8 an hour. I started working there when I was 19. I think pet sitting or farm sitting would be your ideal job. I do work on other farms too and get paid $6 an hour. I clean stalls and goat pens and help feed and water, repair fencing, put up fencing, take down fencing. I have to sign a form stating that if I were to get injured, I could not sue the owners of the farm. It is fun work but also very tiring. I think if your parents would sign for you, there shouldn't be a problem. There is a chance when working with animals that you will get hurt.
  4. laststraw

laststraw New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    New Mexico
    I also think that pet-sitting would be a great idea! We have looked for someone that could help us out here (I travel a lot for my job and it really ties DH to the house) and would certainly be willing to pay $6-7 an hour for someone who knew how to handle goats that could help us out for a day or two here and there when we're gone. I would also be hesitant to hire someone underage, but if they had their parents consent and I knew them I would probably do it.

Check to see if anyone you work for at their home has insurance to cover any accidents that could befall you - we carry extra since we have dogs, too, just in case the meter reader ever got bit. And, as said above - don't let anyone take you for a ride because of your age. If it's a regular job, politely insist on a contract that states your minimum wage, responsibility if you are injured on the property and your parental consent.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck! And, WOW I am impressed that you have such foresight at 13!!!
  5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    I work at a dog kennel, of course I'm 17 though. At this dog kennel they also breed Katahdin(sp?) hair sheep and they have some boer goats. They also live next door to a quarter horse breeder. I get paid $7 and hour and I've learned a LOT since I started working there. It's a great idea! I can also pay for my own feed and gas and everything and I only work three days a week! Good luck!
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i agree, though im sure you're very mature young lady a lot of people stay away from kids because liability issues. You may be able to make flyers in your neighborhood posting that you can do pet sitting/house sitting. Tell them what kinds of experience you have. bringing in the mail, watering plants etc. age 16 a lot of things will open up for you. I started volunteering at a therapuetic riding school when i was 13, it didn't pay but i learned a lot about working with animals and people. The instructor there later asked me to come work at her farm, it turned into i worked to pay off riding lessons and keeping my own horse there. As the years went by i ended up being a riding instructor at that farm, which paid the bills. I did this all through HS. I at one time wanted to go the vet route as well. (i have sinse changed my mind to people medicine) but i was able to take a course at a technical HS my jr. and Sr. years, called vet assisting/.grooming. We had dogs cats horses and donkeys in the classroom. there was a lot of hands on learning. Maybe your HS will offer something similar.
  7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    i would think that if there are any goat farms near you that you could get work there. i would love to have some one that could stay & take care of my animals when i go to shows & help with milking & clipping them.
  8. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    We are only 30 minutes apart. If you need help during show season let me know. I'd be more than gald to help! :)