Is this a silly idea?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Jan 30, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My Angora buck Heath is 2.5 yrs old, he is just the sweetest guy I have ever met, he just loves scratches and pats.

I'm pretty sure he's infertile though. He is getting one more shot on the 1st March and if the does dont get pregnant, I was kinda playing with the idea of surgically castrating him and selling him as a pet. What do you think? I'm just gonna be really sad if I have to send him to the abbatoir.

Silly idea? or not?

2. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Is there such a thing as a silly idea when it comes to our goats???

3. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    No, not a silly Idea at all! Actually it sounds like a wonderful idea to me. My very first goat that I owned was a project for college (I was able to raise him on the college farm) was an angora wether to this day (9 years later) I miss him tremendously.

Just wondering if there was a way to determine if he is sterile, that way you could avoid surgery.

Good Luck!
    Jennah

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I think I would call that a wonderful idea. Not silly at all.

Does he smell like the other buck? I know the Angora boys do not get as smelly as other buck, so if not why even castrate him? Just wondering. :shrug:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    sounds like a good idea... :wink: ..I see nothing wrong with it what-so-ever....But hopefully he will get at least 1 doe preggo, :pray: when you use him one more time..... Are you going to wait at least 2 doe heat cycles, sometimes does may not take the first time ...but do take on the second one. :wink:
    The one way to know for sure.... is have his sperm count tested, then you will know for sure, But I know... you have already spent way to much on the vet... :help:

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    If you really want him to breed someone..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6655

I last post I listed some herbal products that increase fertility.. you could look into those.

I keep a wether even though I have two bucks to keep each other company. I wouldn't get rid of him at all.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Good ideas all round. I'll try to adress/answer everyone:

I really cant keep him on as a 'wether' (regardless of whether I castrate him or not) because I've already got 3 permanent wethers (Gizmo, my first ever goat, Charlie and Chaplin my harness boys) plus I've got Red who I am hoping to sell, plus I have two other bucks to keep and three little ones to sell! That equals a lot of bachelors lol

He doesnt smell that much but he does spray, I know castrating wont necessarily change that behaviour, but I just dont think bucks should be pets, especially for beginners.

The way I work my breeding season is, I put CIDRs in all the does so that they all cycle within a few days, and that way all my kids are born within the same week (more or less) and I can arrange to be home all that week, not off at a show or busy with uni. So, the CIDRs go in first week in Feb, take them out 28th Feb, Heath will go with the girls 1st March. I will be able to observe him join them all, then he will be taken out and Traveller will be put with them, wearing a raddle. If he joins the does ... I figure Heath is infertile.

We did try to collect semen last year but he got stage fright and wouldnt perform :roll: Men

8. goatbless

goatbless New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Handspinners sometimes keep spinner flocks of mostly male animals, because they tend to produce more fiber than the does. They are usually wethers for ease of handling, and generally treated very well or even like pets. Just a thought...

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow....... that is strange.....how aggravating. :doh: ...I know....get a more aggressive collector...or tell the buck..... to imagine the collector in his underwear...LOL :greengrin:

10. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    As uncomfortable as the prospect of castration is to me, I still vote you
    "Good Gal of the Year!"
    That is a very nice gesture. All 3 of my goats were Abattoir bound on the very day
    I galloped in on my white horse and rescued them. All 4 of us (5 if you count my white horse) are the better for it.
    I vote you save them from that long, lonely, last one-way trip.

11. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I'm pretty sure a vet or lab can check the semen to see if he is fetile or not... I know they do fertility rates like this in cattle and collect it like you would if you were doing AI. I'ld imagine it would work the same in goats? just a thought... I'll look it up. BRB

12. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
  13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks Anna.

I have collected semen before from bulls, bucks and rams. I prefer using AVs and that was how I attempted to collect him, but he got shy :roll: I'm not a fan of electro-ejaculation and dont want to make him go through that when a test mating will do just as well.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California