Is this a spot or a moonspot?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, May 13, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

Excuse the weird angle of the pic! :slapfloor:

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Yep

Moonspots are irregular, sometimes white, silver, tan or chocolate.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! I have been wondering for a while and I keep forgetting to take pictures of it. :)

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    They can be pretty much anywhere. You can have more than one color moonspots on a goat too. They can be tiny specks or splotches so big they take up a good portion of the goat.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

whats the difference between a spot and a moonspot?
    beth

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah, I would have just called it a spot :lol: :?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I read that if it is a spot on a white background it isn't a moonspot :?

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    "Spots" are always white. Some "spots" as some people call them, are actually just parts of the basic color pattern. Buckskins for example have facial spotting and bars down the front of their legs. Its just part of the patterning and yes it can vary from one version to the next. But they're always in the same areas and they are found on both sides of the goat.

Moonspots are usually in color. You can also have goats so covered in white that they're mostly white with color spots. Those are not moonspots, just a dalmatian effect from the white spotting. Just neat looking. Like Sarah. She's actually a buckskin under all that white...
    [​IMG]

Here's a photo of Cruiser's big moonspot on his neck. They usually are round...
    [​IMG]
    That one is kind of tannish.

Here's Gwen (Cruiser's daughter) and she has a cream moonspot by her mouth and a chocolate one on her front leg above her knee...
    [​IMG]

9. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    I think it's just a spot but that's my opinion.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the info and pictures on Moonspots. Her sire has them and so does his dam so I figured that's what it was. I'm calling it a moonspot. :sun:

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    RunAround we need to see a picture of the whole goat to see if it actually a broken pattern with white OR if the spot under her chin is actually a moonspot. Without seeing the whole goat it is hard to determin her color pattern.

Ashely that is what I mean like you said about Sarah, Because if every spot is a moonspot then I have two goat kids with moonspots, but I know they aren't because it is just their chamois pattern being broken by the white and they are exhibiting their pattern in various places including the spots.

This is just my limited understanding but again I did read that a spot(of any color) on a white backdrop is not a mooonspot but just the "peaking though" of the actual color of the goat.

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  13. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I'd say definately a moonspot, look closer that is not a spot on white background, the goat is gold/cream so that is a moonspot.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    good point -- that is why seeing all of the goat helps as I wouldnt' have noticed the cream color with just the first pic --- bad eyes :shrug:

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry Stacey, I should have posted a body pic of her too. :wink:

Now I have three does I could get moonspotted(sp) babies from! :dance:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Coal (flickas triplet boy) has a moonspot on his back and I have no idea where it came from :?

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I say it's a moonspot. Here are a couple photos of moonspots, just for reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]