The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
They can be pretty much anywhere. You can have more than one color moonspots on a goat too. They can be tiny specks or splotches so big they take up a good portion of the goat.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
"Spots" are always white. Some "spots" as some people call them, are actually just parts of the basic color pattern. Buckskins for example have facial spotting and bars down the front of their legs. Its just part of the patterning and yes it can vary from one version to the next. But they're always in the same areas and they are found on both sides of the goat.

Moonspots are usually in color. You can also have goats so covered in white that they're mostly white with color spots. Those are not moonspots, just a dalmatian effect from the white spotting. Just neat looking. Like Sarah. She's actually a buckskin under all that white...

Here's a photo of Cruiser's big moonspot on his neck. They usually are round...

That one is kind of tannish.

Here's Gwen (Cruiser's daughter) and she has a cream moonspot by her mouth and a chocolate one on her front leg above her knee...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
RunAround we need to see a picture of the whole goat to see if it actually a broken pattern with white OR if the spot under her chin is actually a moonspot. Without seeing the whole goat it is hard to determin her color pattern.

Ashely that is what I mean like you said about Sarah, Because if every spot is a moonspot then I have two goat kids with moonspots, but I know they aren't because it is just their chamois pattern being broken by the white and they are exhibiting their pattern in various places including the spots.

This is just my limited understanding but again I did read that a spot(of any color) on a white backdrop is not a mooonspot but just the "peaking though" of the actual color of the goat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd say definately a moonspot, look closer that is not a spot on white background, the goat is gold/cream so that is a moonspot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts