The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of my 4 week old buckling. He's had this for a few weeks now. Is it harmless or should I have it drained?

·
2,203 Posts
Wattle cysts usually are On the wattle. Like at the base. I would have that drained and tested, just for peace of mind. I don't assume it is CL, but always good to test when in question. Especially that it's losing hair and appearing shiny. Looks closer to the thymus gland.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
That could be a waddle cyst..they are at the base of the waddle...I would have a vet look at it just in case....always better to be safe : )

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is located at the base of the wattle... sorry the pictures aren't that good but I didn't have anyone to hold him for me while I snapped pics. I'm still pretty much a newbie of a little over 2 years with goats... but someone saw him yesterday that said she had 16 yrs with goats and she hadn't ever heard of a wattle cyst... so I got to worrying again (lately my favorite past time! I've come to the conclusion that owning goats is very stressful!!! lol)

·
2,203 Posts
It is located at the base of the wattle... sorry the pictures aren't that good but I didn't have anyone to hold him for me while I snapped pics. I'm still pretty much a newbie of a little over 2 years with goats... but someone saw him yesterday that said she had 16 yrs with goats and she hadn't ever heard of a wattle cyst... so I got to worrying again (lately my favorite past time! I've come to the conclusion that owning goats is very stressful!!! lol)
That's great to hear, I really doubt it's CL, with his age and everything but sounds like you need a good cup of tea and a negative CL test for your mind to relax. :)

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
It looks to be a waddle cyst to me..I had a buck last season with one...they keep getting bigger...some will keep the cyst drained for appearances..and some times they can get large enough to be come a problem...if you need to drain it..be very clean, not to introduce bacteria in the cyst...Yes goat do keep our life interesting lol

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ya not CL, could be a wattle cyst for sure. They can come in so many different forms. From big to small to ones that just kinda leak... I like the idea of a vet looking at it but if the vet doesnt know goats its nearly 100% he will have no idea what a wattle cyst is and dont take his opinion to heart. OR it could be a sliver or a piece of fox tail in there.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
From what I read, a waddle cyst will refill...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of my 4 week old buckling. He's had this for a few weeks now. Is it harmless or should I have it drained?

What happened with your goat?? Was it cl or a wattle cyst?
Mine has the very same thing and I'm so worried waiting for the test results.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
we are pretty sure he had a waddle cyst...if you take pix of yours and post in your own thread...we can advise on yours : )

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What happened with your goat?? Was it cl or a wattle cyst?
Mine has the very same thing and I'm so worried waiting for the test results.
It was a wattle cyst.... I took him to the vet, he stuck a needle in it and clear fluid shot out. NOT CL! It looked like it was filling back up shortly after again. I had to sell some of my goats last year so he was sold not long after. I still wonder how they are doing... guess I always will!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The cysts burst yesterday and cheesy white pus came out, I squeezed as much as I could cleaned it out with iodine and packed it with antibiotic ointment... They seem smaller today, and I am giving her the penicillin and metcam the vet gave me every day.... Waiting to get test results...
Thanks for you reply!

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts