Is this a zinc deficiency?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TheUnfetteredAcre, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TheUnfetteredAcre

TheUnfetteredAcre Member

Jul 19, 2020
    East Tennessee
    Hello everyone,

I posted a week and a half or so ago about my new little dude, Toby. Toby is doing swimmingly with a nice stable FAMACHA and is getting his feet back under him.

I was reading about zinc deficiencies, and that they can cause a dandruff type of condition. Toby has this only along his spine - which I thought was odd. He doesn’t scratch or try to bite himself, and I don’t feel any scabby areas like when the girls had mites. I don’t see lice either, so zinc is my next guess.

He’s getting free choice SweetLix, so if he is deficient, time will help him a lot.

Attaching some pictures that are not of dandruff, because he is such a beauty. :)

Attached Files:

2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Looks like classic zinc deficiency to me, I see it often.

Try half a 50mg human zinc pill.

Additionally, I’ve noticed that zinc absorption is tough to achieve with pure zinc supplements, something in the liver etc. must not be functioning properly when they get deficient. Basically, supplementing with zinc is not enough.

I was only able to improve my issues with an herbal blend from fir Meadow LLC called KopSel. So I’d give that along with the zinc supplementation.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I used human zinc pills for my herd and it has worked quite well for me. It is possible to over dose it though, so that is something to keep in mind.

Half a pill is a good place to start. I like to crush them up in applesauce and they eat it right down.

He is just stinkin' adorable by the way.

4. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Definitely looks like it could be zinc deficiency! Is there any chance he could just be sunburnt? Sometimes my goats would get flaky skin only along their topline if they had been shaved and sitting out in the sun. He isn’t shaved though, so it probably is zinc deficiency!
    He is beautiful!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. TheUnfetteredAcre

TheUnfetteredAcre Member

Jul 19, 2020
    East Tennessee
    @NigerianDwarfOwner707, I find your comment very intriguing. I have um...interesting hobbies, one of which is the study of metabolic pathways. I’m very interested in the bioavailability of minerals as cofactors for enzymatic reactions in the human body, and oddly enough, I never thought of the same material applying to goats! With what form(s) have you noticed poor absorption? Also, highly interesting regarding the herbal formula you mentioned. I’ll have to dig into what is in that blend.

@MellonFriend how often do you give the zinc supplement? Weekly or monthly? I have not tried applesauce with Toby or his “wingman”, Zeke. They are just thrilled when they get their pellets so they would probably not even notice half a zinc tab.

@CaramelKittey, thank you for your response. I don’t think he’s sunburned, but it is good to know that this could be a possible cause. That also makes sense!

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I, too, am very interested in that! Also a hobby of mine.

I’ve found the two best forms to be zinc methionine Complex and zinc gluconate.

My trials and research have shown that too much zinc has an opposite effect and will not help deficiency problems.

I think it’s because most minerals are absorbed via the liver or other organs, and too much of them, for lack of better words, clogs them up.

So, on the two forms. Zinc gluconate is not very well absorbed, it seems very gentle. It’s what is in most human zinc pills. Because it’s not as strong, it actually works better.

Zinc methionine Complex is strong and well-absorbed. This is what zinpro is made out of. However, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s too strong - too good at what it does. It backfires.

However, this ingredient is also in TruCare4, which actually DOES work! Why? Because there’s copper in TruCare4 which balances the zinc, they bind to one another, and in some way, they buffer one another.

Why do the herbs help? Not only are there natural plant forms of zinc, but as an herbal mineral blend it contains minerals that improve absorption and help liver and other organs function to utilize these natural forms. Thus, it’s what’s needed to protect the liver and organs during mineral supplementation while also giving them a kick in the butt to function properly!!

Does that make sense? Hopefully.

8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I did the pills once a week for three weeks and then waited a month to reassess.

I'll have to check my calendar to see how often after that I needed to do it.

9. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

He is just a kissable fellow

10. TheUnfetteredAcre

TheUnfetteredAcre Member

Jul 19, 2020
    East Tennessee
    To be honest, I smell another rabbit hole. Although I doubt there is a great body of research on the metabolic pathways of goats, I think it is likely that between most eukaryotes there would be similarities. :). That’s not a bad thing - I love rabbit holes such as these. What you’re saying does indeed make sense. Copper and zinc have to be in a balanced ratio for optimal absorption of either I believe. I agree with the idea of natural sources - no different than how it is better to get your daily folate via green leafy plants than from fortified cereal. It’s not the same thing at all.

@MellonFriend, thank you for your response. I’ll start him on a once-weekly dose and reassess a few weeks down the road. I gave him about half a capsule of zinc piccolinate (what I have on hand for myself) and he didn’t turn a hair. Just nibbled it right out of my hand with his pellets this morning. I am holding off giving it to Zeke - his buck friend in the pasture with him since I’ve not seen those flakes on him. To be honest though, I’m still in the process of making friends with Zeke. He came from a different home and is very skittish around humans.

@Tanya, I could not agree more. He’s a lovey for sure. Now, I have a cat who is very sensitive to change, and new smells make him fearful (when we adopted our dog, he was so stressed out by her he stopped eating), so I’ve been taking like three showers a day because he is so friendly and the cat is a bit nervous about the smell. But I can’t just be out there and not give him scratches. :)

11. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member