Is this bloat?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Jan 8, 2011.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I just got this doe Dec 22nd and my other does still aren't so nice to her.She is always shaking scared and getting tossed around.I don't know if this is bloat or possible injury or just normal.See how she has that huge bolge on her side.It's squishy and I gave her baking soda just in case.I think I'm just paranoid maybe :oops:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you get her like that or did it just start?

It looks to be... in the wrong spot for bloat....to far back....could be injury or something more....

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'll give her the probios.She eats normal when the one doe will let her get to the hay that is.Poor girl is having a hard time making friends :( I have to take her out of the pen just so she can have alittle grain to herself.She is preggo but was bred Dec 2nd so not far along.No she wasn't like this before.Just noticed it today

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is she limping at all?

Does look like an injury.... looks like.... she may need something for swelling...

Has she had her CD&T shot?

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    She's not limping.What can I give for swelling? She has had her CD&T

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I use banamine...

.not sure... what else is safe for preggo goats....maybe someone else... can let ya know.... or call the vet and ask.... :wink:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Looks like she either took a very hard hit from another goat or is it possible that she got kicked ?

Squishy means that there is swelling, be watchful for her to come back into heat, a hit like that can cause pregnancy loss. Also, that squishy area may harden as the pooled blood clots and tries to redisperse.
    I've seen an injury similar in a boer/nubi doe that got rammed by a togg wether...she wasn't preggy though, but it took a very long time for the lump to go away.
    As long as she's eating, drinking and being her normal self, she'll be fine but II do think I would pair her with a gentler goat and separate her from the herd til she's more comfortable.

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I was afraid of that.I only have 3 does right now (all prego and moody) I don't have a spare pen (filled with hay) and other is being used to house our puppies.I could maybe move her in with the puppies cus they go in the goats pen anyhow and they don't mind one another. It's temporary anyhow.I'll do that in the morning.She's not due till April so might be best to keep her seperate untill she kids so I don't run the risk of her aborting.I would be so upset!

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    doesnt look like bloat to me -- but I have only had limited experience with bloat

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok couldn't wait till morning.I gave Hope probios just in case and seperated her from the one who was tormenting her.She seemed to relax alittle and went straight for the hay.Hoping it's nothing serious :( She doesn't act if she's in pain.I don't have any banamine so I don't know what else to do for her if it is swelling.Time will tell I guess

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am praying she will be OK....it she isn't in pain....then time will heal..... just make sure she isn't hit again.... I see a horse in the background in your picture... was she in with that horse... she may of got kicked.... the lump is pretty big.... :hug:

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    No they aren't together.They have seperate stalls.The lump is still there and still soft and squishy.She doesn't seem to be in any pain.Very odd.I have never seen anything like this before.Never had issues with bloat either so clueless.I may just call the vet anyhow and see if he can take alook at it.I don't like our vet for our livestock.He's fine with the dogs and cats but alittle to passive when it comes to other animals.Pretty much if he doesn't know he is to quick to say put it down :( So I've been searching for a new vet for them needless to say but not many in our area who does livestock.On the verge to go back to school and make one available ;)

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That may be smart ....to get a vet to take a look see.... :thumb: :hug: