The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before you look at the pics know that this doe is normally very wide and I usually don't worry about it because she seems completely healthy....

Now, that being said, today her left side felt harder than usual and looked funny shaped, to me at least or from what I am used to seeing. I am really worried. Just put out new baking soda for them today. Maybe they weren't eating it because some hay and other stuff had fallen in, idk. Please advise me!!! Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree. With my goats when I suspect bloat, I push their rumen in with my fist at the top. If I feel no "dough" in there, or it won't even go down, I treat for bloat. If it's hard but I can make a shape that stays, even if the skin pops back, I leave them. I also massage their rumens to see if they can burp. Generally if they're bloating, they won't take treats, and there is something off about them. I do this every day on my goats because I'm a nervous goatmother from having a bad experience with bloat.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks a lot. I will try drenching with BS. Will they not self medicate?? If I don't drench them there is a possibility that she won't take the BS herself? And if I do drench can someone tell me the process in detail. Like how much BS, water, etc. thanks again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree, it wouldn't hurt to treat her if you suspect it. Just curious, is she pregnant?
No, no buck in sight and we got her about 3 weeks after she kidded. But it does look like it though. I wish she was! That would be fun, but I guess more things to worry about :(. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Lol...I just had to ask since her right side was so much bigger than her left. She may just have one heck of a rumen :p I know by the end of the day all my goats, bucks included, look like their going to kid any day lol.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, I have a doe that looks EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY, like your doe every day. My doe has Strongyle worms. I would worm and drench with baking soda. Also rub her side vigorously. My doe might just look like this forever. I should take a picture... it would freak you out they look so similar.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol...I just had to ask since her right side was so much bigger than her left. She may just have one heck of a rumen :p I know by the end of the day all my goats, bucks included, look like their going to kid any day lol.
These pics were taken at the am milking, so she hasn't even gotten started on her day of foraging, feed, water, etc. her right side does look gimongous, but usually both sides kinda look like that. The left side was the one kinda of freaking me out. I do think she has serious rumen in there (or ramen noodle as my husband calls it :)).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I have a doe that looks EXACTLY, and I mean EXACTLY, like your doe every day. My doe has Strongyle worms. I would worm and drench with baking soda. Also rub her side vigorously. My doe might just look like this forever. I should take a picture... it would freak you out they look so similar.
Yeah, that's crazy! I regularly worm them, but it could be that, you never know. If it was bloat would it feel rock hard or just not jello-y like normal? I am not sure what to look for except a larger left side.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeah, that's crazy! I regularly worm them, but it could be that, you never know. If it was bloat would it feel rock hard or just not jello-y like normal? I am not sure what to look for except a larger left side.
Usually when they bloat they'll have other signs besides the characteristic big left side. They'll grind their teeth, stand hunched over, fluff their fur out, chew their tummy, fake yawn every few seconds, and as it gets worse cry or start screaming, froth at the mouth, they'll lay down and won't get up, and breathe very heavily before eventually suffocating from the pressure.

I think your girl just has a very healthy rumen personally. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Usually when they bloat they'll have other signs besides the characteristic big left side. They'll grind their teeth, stand hunched over, fluff their fur out, chew their tummy, fake yawn every few seconds, and as it gets worse cry or start screaming, froth at the mouth, they'll lay down and won't get up, and breathe very heavily before eventually suffocating from the pressure.

I think your girl just has a very healthy rumen personally. :)
If I don't see these other signs should I not worry as much??

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
big wide belly is a healthy belly...for goats that is lol...Goats will eat baking soda as they feel the need..but when one gets bloated they need a bit more than they usually want...I take 1/2-1 tsp for large goats add enough water to drench...goes down easy...then as mentioned..message until you hear movment via burping or less lady like sounds ;)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
big wide belly is a healthy belly...for goats that is lol...Goats will eat baking soda as they feel the need..but when one gets bloated they need a bit more than they usually want...I take 1/2-1 tsp for large goats add enough water to drench...goes down easy...then as mentioned..message until you hear movment via burping or less lady like sounds ;)
Wish the same were true for humans, lol! Thanks for the instructions, I am a new goat owner. Just learning little by little, and boy is there a lot to learn!

·
Registered
979 Posts
I know you said there's no way she could be preggo...but I've never seen a non-preggo goat this wide! I'm almost in disbelief....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I know you said there's no way she could be preggo...but I've never seen a non-preggo goat this wide! I'm almost in disbelief....
She hasn't been exposed to the buck since she gave birth and they stay far away from each other so no through the fence hanky panky. She is just a wide girl. And although in these pics she is a bit wider than normal, she pretty much always looks like this! I was only concerned about the firmness of the left side but not the size per se. She has gone down a bit and is feeling sqishy on both sides again, so I am relieved. I decided to wait a couple of days and keep an eye out for any other symptoms or increase in firmness, but she got better without intervention. Thanks everyone for the advice. Now I know what to look for in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts