Is this goat agression?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Peachmom, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Peachmom

Peachmom New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Hello! I am a new owner of a 5 year old Lamancha wether that came with the house we bought 6 months ago. He is usually a sweetie and has come to really love and trust us as we give him goodies, lots of love and brushing that itchy goat hide. This morning his door became jammed and I went into his stall to open it and let him out. He repeatedly jumped up on me (and he is Huge) all the while licking his lips like crazy. I yelled at him to get down and pushed him off getting out of that stall as quickly as possible. Can anyone fill me in on why he got this way or what I could do in the future? :confused: Thanks so much!

2. Cactus_Acres

Cactus_Acres New Member

Sep 24, 2013
    Southeast Wyoming
    Seems like a dominance thing. Doe does the tongue from time to time when she is trying to be dominant.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

He needs a buddy. He is treating you like another goat.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A buddy would help.

Pull his ear, if he jumps up on you or get a spray bottle with water in it.

5. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Sounds like he is in rut looking for a date :) Does he still have his nuts?

6. Peachmom

Peachmom New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    I wondered why the old owner had only him. I remember hearing that he was too aggressive with another goat they tried to bring in so the did not keep it. He is fond of and protective of the chickens that share his pasture. Oddly enough I moved the younger chickens in the stall next to his to the big coop just last night. Maybe he is lonely. There are better ways to ask for my attention.

7. Smallfarmer

Smallfarmer New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Be careful. I had a wether who was raised by himself for 2 years before I got him. He was loving, a pain in the but, and only tried to be dominate a few times. So I got him a buddy to calm him down. Big mistake. Mr. Spoiled got more aggressive and beat up the little goat along with anyone around him. It got to the point where I couldn't handle him anymore. Now he's an only goat on the farm down the road where the kids spoil him even more.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If he isn't good with a buddy, the only thin you can try to do is, to teach him who is boss, between the two of you, by pulling the ear.

If you can't correct that, then, replacing him, may be the answer. :(

9. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Were you wearing perfume? Especially a musk based scent? Almost sounds like a "rut" thing to me also and some perfumes, especially musk, will trigger this in any species. I had to be really careful when I was in 4H and showing steers....NO PERFUME LOL

10. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    If pulling the ear doesn't work I'm a full believer in a hot shot. Because he's so big he can hurt you or kids. It will only take one or two zaps and he will stop.

It does sound like he needs a friend, or therapy lol. Hopefully he can be nice to a friend. I'd try to get a friend that's close to the same size and age.

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Or if he liked the chickens, then just keep the chickens in with him.

12. Peachmom

Peachmom New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks! It sounds like this may be the case if I did get another. The old owner did not say anything, but his son in law was by picking stuff up and said the tried to get him a friend but it did not go well. Peppy the goat also ate the tail off of a pony they put in with him to sleep one cold night. The pony's owner never forgave him, lol.

13. Peachmom

Peachmom New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    He is great with the chickens. He is a fantastic watch goat. They free range together all day so it is just the sleeping quarters that got moved. The chickens are smart enough to stick with him in their large fence pasture and I have not lost one yet to hawks yet my neighbors lost all theirs. Hopefully he will adjust to the new sleeping quarters for his feathered friends.

14. Peachmom

Peachmom New Member

Oct 23, 2013
    He is a lamancha...no ears so that would be hard;) The squirt bottle seems to be a good deterrent to jumping at least.

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Ok, delicate question...were you "in season"... Lol. Sometimes male animals can tell. I agree with a disciplinary pinch on the ear. I actually bit my male kid when he was being bad. That settled the problem.

16. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    :eek: :lol: :lol:

17. Smallfarmer

Smallfarmer New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I should have thought of that with my unruly wether. :face palm: it worked well with a disobedient dog I had a few years ago.

18. Smallfarmer

Smallfarmer New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Well if you can solve his aggression problem then you can just keep him with the chickens instead of getting a buddy. I heard shock collars work too and goats learn faster then some dogs.