The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Most dairy does do need an increase in feed during heavy lactation...she appears to be in need of more groceries to go with that udder. From what I can see, she has a very nice udder, her build/frame however just doesn't seem to be correct enough to carry it... weak pasterns and very steep rump :( I wouldn't say she's starved, as you don't know exactly what management she does have... most don't realize that for every pound of milk a doe produces she needs twice as much feed to keep condition and production.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm no expert but I know its hard to keep weight on a milking goat. Some look gaunt no matter how much food you give them. That said, this girl does look like she could use a little more food ration. She's putting out a ton of milk in a day. Maybe an extra scoop of alfalfa, beet pulp, kale or BOSS just to add some weight.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Her hooves don't look well maintained, from what I can see. I would venture to guess that she doesn't get what she needs, feed wise. Could even have a parasite load. But I bet with a drying off and some much needed TLC, her next freshening she would be amazing!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she doesn't look very well cared for..... her hooves look like they could use a good trim and she definitely needs more food!!

if you're interested in her, maybe ask for better pictures? it could be the picture is making her look weird...

·
Registered
979 Posts
If her feet are as bad as they look, she whole posture issue could be from bad feet too. She needs a trim and may have other foot issues...and it won't be able to be fixed all in one trimming, but with a good trim and some BoSe...she may be much less crooked all around!

·
Registered
30,646 Posts
wow on that udder...I agree some TLC , copper, selenium just might bring that girl right along....I have a large bone saanen who stays a bit on the thin side through entire milking season...we feed her more and she just puts it in the bucket lol...we have to have a head start on her before kidding to keep her in fair condition...

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
yup I have a doe like that too.. This year was just to hard on her and she got real thin. Ive decided to retire her for her own sake. But in previous years depending I could get her to look good while lactating and sometimes not. Really hard keeper. Some does are just like that.

·
Registered
818 Posts
She does have a nice udder. I wonder if she is registered, she could have some nice genetics, who knows.Their price seems a little steep for a doe who needs that much TLC. Poor girl. I know some are hard keepers, but there isn't really any excuse for her hooves, and her fish tail, and the fact that she is SO thin. Poor girl. :(

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't know much about milking goats but this animal looks unhealthy and starved.
Dairy goats, like dairy cows, are designed by nature to put everything they have into milk. Look at the size of that udder, it takes a lot of feed to support that. I doubt if she is being starved.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Her feet look a little rough from what I can see in that pic, looks like she needs a trim. She is thin, My friend has a Nubian doe that she says she has the hardest time keeping the weight on, she also says she is her best milker. she says she is (Dairy, Dairy) sometimes they just stay thin.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Dairy goats, like dairy cows, are designed by nature to put everything they have into milk. Look at the size of that udder, it takes a lot of feed to support that. I doubt if she is being starved.
Yup have to agree

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I have a feeling, if this doe was shaved and set up nicely...no one would say anything, but since it's an odd angle and her coat looks rough and hooves don't appear to be trimmed perfectly, she doesn't look that great...doesn't mean she's being starved. Her udder looks nice and full. A starved doe in milk just can't produce that amount of milk. Could she use weight? Yes, it appears...but she is a dairy goat and we're looking at one odd angled photo here.

mad_science: Are you considering purchasing her or ??

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Mad Science:
If you are considering buying her, this is what everyone suggested in one post ;)

Go see her and check out her confirmation.
Bargain down the price.
Take her home, but keep her in quarantine until you've drawn blood and gotten results on CAE/CL.
Meanwhile, trim her feet, de-worm her, get her a shot of BoSe, copper bolas her, and feed her well.
If she's CAE/CL neg., keep her.
Dry her off, pamper her, then next freshening... !!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts