Is this healing right? Should I trim that dark spot?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Abigail Fin, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Trim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Wait

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Abigail Fin

Abigail Fin New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    North of Atlanta
    Zeige (3 yo ND doe) has had hoof problems a few times. This is the first time I had to trim back the hoof wall because it was starting to get some gunk in there and separate. I trimmed it down to healthy tissue about a week or so ago and have been cleaning and brushing it off at least once a day and applying Hoof n' Heel.
    Yesterday was muddy and I had to trim out a spot on the other side that looked deep, so I applied iodine instead and kept her dry on a porch with an iodine soaked bandage on it to keep dirt from getting in there.
    Now the spot where I had to trim up the hoof wall is looking strange and I don't know if that's how it's supposed to heal. She's limping on that foot today and worrying me. It look like the soft tissue is growing or has a growth that's darker and almost looks like mushroom gills. What is it supposed to look like as it heels?
    Should I trim the new, dark growth?

Attached Files:

2. Abigail Fin

Abigail Fin New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    North of Atlanta
    The top left of the hoof in this picture is my concern, but her poor hoof is a little bit of a mess. I'm happy for any help or guidance!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can use coppertox. You can also soak in Epsom salt.

Abigail Fin likes this.
  4. Abigail Fin

Abigail Fin New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    North of Atlanta
    I've used some Hoof n' Heel, do you recommend copper tox over that? Maybe just soak it and stop trimming for a week or so?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you don't see pink, trim off all the bad area's, and make the hoof bottom as flat as you can.

goatblessings and Abigail Fin like this.
  6. Abigail Fin

Abigail Fin New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    North of Atlanta
    It seems like the small area on the right is deep and I'm afraid to cut any more. It bled a little and I don't want crud to get crammed in there. I brushed it out and applied Kopertox. I'm worried about it going deeper. IMG_6540.jpg

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can always soak it.

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Yeah. Soaknit. Sometimes the dry bits come off then you know what you are dealing with.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah, don't cut anymore off right now.

You can get iodine/water and a tooth brush and scrub that area.
    The toothbrush really gets in there. ;)