The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of my does limping this evening and I checked her feet for hoof rot. I usually only have problems in between the hoofs and I couldn't find anything wrong there but she was still limping. I then cleaned off a spot on the bottom of her foot that I thought was mud. It ended up being a big hole. It's about the size of a dime and about a quarter of an inch deep. It's perfectly round and so sore. It has a smell but not near as strong as the hoof rot I've dealt with before. I'm so worried it is going to get bigger. I sprayed it all down with hoof rot treatment.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
The picture is hard to tell. You may want an experienced goat person or vet to look at it to be sure. But definitely keep treating for hoof rot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had goats 10 years or so and have never seen a perfect round circle like this. Vet is out of the question. One of them will not treat goats and the other one doesn't really know what they are doing. I will take some better pics after work.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Is it possible she stepped/ jumped on a stick or something? I have one that has a small hole in her hoof- she jumped on a stick- perfectly round. SHe is healing nicely and I keep putting hoof n heel on it...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That looks like an abscess that has ruptured, just like in horses. You need to keep cleaning it out and wrap the hoof until it heals.

·
Registered
319 Posts
keep it clean and keep the germs out or infection. and put medication on it.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Flush it out and clean it really well, make sure there are no pockets left to hold in debris. Get some sort of wound coat or spray and get it all in there really well...then I would probably just put her in a clean environment or wrap it for a couple days. Clean it out regularly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looked so much better today. She was barely limping. I cleaned it again and sprayed antibiotics on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have a couple of goats with "pits" in their hoofs. They range in size from pencil eraser to tip of my pinky...They dnt go deep like into the quick or anything. They arent limping...just a perfectly lil round hole/pit.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Anytime I see a pit or hole I treat for hoof rot... limping or not. Usually it smells bad even if they aren't limping.

Abscesses usually have pus inside so squeeze to sure. Keep it clean, trimmed and treated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts