Is this just asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Jan 21, 2010.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    There's an ad online at the moment for two british alpine bucks. One is a 6 yr old buck they are asking $30 for. The other is a 1 yr old buck they are asking $75 for.

Is this just asking for trouble, such low $ animals? Are they likely to be terrible quality, or have behavioural issues, or CAE/Johnes +ve or ????

I just dont know ... I really dont need a BA buck until next year when Dotti and Tabby (and maybe Dalila) are old enough, but then again I suppose I could put him over Anna and Fiona (saanens) this year.

What do you think the chances are that these are actually reasonable animals? It is so hard to find any british alpines at all, and much less ones that go for a decent price. Obviously by decent price I'm willing to spend up to five or six hundred for a buck but even so they are hard to find quality to match the price.

I guess they could be shockers ... or they could be ok. I mean, I didnt think Dotti would be a really nice doe, being free, but she is. But then again, my luck surely cant be that good, to have a win on a free doe and then an almost free buck.

Aah, I guess I'm just rambling and not making much sense here lol sorry

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Not nessasarily so. I paid $25 each for my goats. Not registered, but it's a start. They were milk goats someone bought to raise an orphan horse on. The lady loved them, but was divorcing and needed them to go because she was moving.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you ask if they are papered or for some pictures?

they maybe in some hard times right now and just needing them moved and the cash.

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I sent the guy an email asking if they are registered, and for some pictures of them, the older guys progeny, and mums and sisters all that stuff if they have them. cos although they are cheap, it will cost me probably 200 fuel to get them. so I definitely want to know what I'm dealing with first before I make the long trip!

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

:thumb: I'd go for it!

6. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Hi, Keren. I say "go for it!", too. :devilish:

But, I've noticed that this forum doesn't seem like the right place to look for help to say "no". :wink:

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    :D Nope! I'm looking into one right now too. For the magical price of $75.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They are a possibility, but i'dl ike to see pics. Remeber that the buck is half of your herd...try and get the best you can afford. They may be cheap, but will their kids be worth as much as a buck of better quality for a bit more??

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, I also think you should hold out for a good buck. Does in my opinion are easier to find. Most bucklings are wethered before they are breedable, even ones that would be good for breeding.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep. However, I have come across some good deals on good goats, just the person needed to sell quick, didn't know the prices, etc. I once bought a bunch of NICE shipped in goats for VERY cheap. Nothing was wrong with them just the person had to sell quick because they HAD to move that week. So it really just depends. But if these guys are so-so quality then i'd hold out for a better buck.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ask there age ...cause you don't want ...real old ones either.... unless they are of very good lines....

At times... they may sell cheap... to get rid of a big headache.... or it can be... just because they need money quick..... It's always a gamble and sometimes... it could be a great deal ....while other times.... it could be a bad thing.... :( I know... I am not much help...but... I am being honest...you just never know... :shrug: :hug:

12. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've seen nothing but bucks on our local ads. Seems everyone buys a cheap buck, breeds their does and then sells the buck to someone else because they're "done with him".

It's sad :( But, sometimes you luck out and he's really nice. I've found a few I would have bought had they had any papers. I'm looking to upgrade, not settle for mediocre, ya know? I think everyone should keep that in mind with their herds. Just sayin'.