Is this normal after kidding?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by NightHawk, Apr 5, 2008.

1. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I posted previously that my doe, Chinook, had just kidded. The delivery went well and I saw the afterbirth later. All looked good. Well, tonight when I went out to milk I got blood on my hands. I looked for the source and she had what looked like an umbilical cord or bloody string coming out...
    [​IMG]
    I've never had anything happen after the afterbirth comes out. Is this normal? I almost thought I saw her have a contraction or something too; she pushed real hard and nothing happened. I just feel uncomfortable not knowing so if any of you have any ideas...

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    You should probably bounce her to check for another kid. Here is a thread where it was discussed viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2807

3. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Looks like to me that she tore her placenta probably getting up by stepping on it and the rest is finally passing. Its a good thing :)

4. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes. I have another question. Her teats don't look really dry and cracked but they're bleeding slightly. Should I just try some bag balm and see if that helps? She doesn't mind me milking her and touching her teats.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I rubbed some bag balm on one of mine yesterday. Not too much, she really appreciated it.

6. Pheonix08

Pheonix08 New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Western N.Y.
    Go ahead with the bag balm on her teats it won't hurt her in anyway.The stuff she's passing looks fine.
    Not clumpy with blood which may inply bleeding internally in the unterus.Just nice clean.
    GOOD LUCK!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is she doing now? If that all out? If not I sure would go in a check on her. Depending on how long ago that she delivered and then that discharge showed up, it could be another kid inside, but if it did come out already and she is fine that is great news.

8. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    There's still dried remnants of blood, but no fresh blood coming out so I think she's fine. Her teats are looking much better as well. Thanks for the reasurance and tips.