The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I be concerned about the photos below or is this normal for goat horseplay?

Victim (Po)

Culprit (Trouble, of course)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Maybe I'm dense here, but all I see is the head of the same goat facing two different directions and standing on what appears to be a sheet of plywood? A little clarification would be helpful. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm dense here, but all I see is the head of the same goat facing two different directions and standing on what appears to be a sheet of plywood? A little clarification would be helpful. :)
My goats are nearly identical twins. Trouble is the bully, but friendly. Poe is standoffish but HAS to be by Troubles side. It's two different goats.
I see the injury, is it at the base of the horn or is it separate from the horn? I'm wondering if he knocked his horn loose?
It's at the base of the horn. This is the third time I've found blood on Poe's horn. Before it was between the layers. Never had goats before so I assumed it was just due to growth but it concerns me because it looks like the layers have "delaminated", for lack of a better word.

The first week, they took to screaming bloody murder if I wasn't in their line of sight and wouldn't eat unless I was standing there with them. I started ignoring them when they screamed, as people here suggested (what I would have done anyways), but it's very hard to do when I find things like this. Also, I've only had them for a week and wish I could keep a closer eye on them at least for a little while. It might also be important to mention that they were yanked from a herd of 20+ goats after they were weaned. Despite Poe being weaned, she followed mommy around everywhere. Could she be getting on Troubles nerves by adopting him to follow around?

Trouble is sometimes possessive of the food area and I would assume this happened when he was trying to butt Poe out of the way of the food. I have since made a feeder for both of them but am concerned and confused about what I should do.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I wouldn't say it is 'common' or 'normal' for them to headbutt themselves bloody, but it isn't really abnormal either. They can be real stinkers at times and part of their nature is being contrary (there is a reason why in the bible obedient followers are described as a flock of sheep and sinners are described as goats, haha!!). I find the boys tend to get pretty headbutty and some times when my girls are out with them the girls end up pushing back and because they aren't as tough foreheaded from playfighting as the boys they end up raw-headed.

My kids normally have a period of surface flaking to the horns around weaning. The horn on Poe that has the wound looks a good deal more brittle than what i usually get, so the bloody base could be because the horn is weaker than usual. I don't think there is much you can do about it other than make sure they get good nutrition so they can grow stronger horn as they mature. I have had some nasty nasty injuries both to the horns and from the horns, and while the injuries to the horns are usually horribly bloody and scary they don't actually seem to bother the goat nearly as much as they bother me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there is a reason why in the bible obedient followers are described as a flock of sheep and sinners are described as goats
CSN much? I just heard this mentioned the other day.

Outside of the bloody spot, things are getting much better. I think (hoping) much of the problems I've been having are due to their age and recent change of environment, both of which will resolve themselves.

Poe is coming around. He's funny. He'll run from me until I get my hand on his back and then stop running to let me pet him. Weird. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
CSN much? I just heard this mentioned the other day.
Hehe, no.... Not much for that sort of thing, actually. I was just having a conversation with a friend the other day who was chastised by some of her friends for having goats because they were used as a "negative" example in the Bible. So i whipped out my own favorite Bible passage to counteract that. That is the proverbs 27:23-27 in my signature. The ending of that passage is that we will be provided with enough goat milk, and it specifies GOAT MILK, to provide for our families and servant girls (not that I can afford a servant girl, but that sure would be nice if I could pay a housekeeper in goat milk!!) I consider that a sure sign that the Big Guy himself is actually pro-goat and not anti-goat, and I have the scriptures to back it up, lol!! So the whole thing was fresh in my mind because of that.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine are dehorned, but go out in my pasture on any given day and you'll find at least one with a bloody head and another with the aforementioned's blood on her neck or brisket.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Hehe, no.... Not much for that sort of thing, actually. I was just having a conversation with a friend the other day who was chastised by some of her friends for having goats because they were used as a "negative" example in the Bible. So i whipped out my own favorite Bible passage to counteract that. That is the proverbs 27:23-27 in my signature. The ending of that passage is that we will be provided with enough goat milk, and it specifies GOAT MILK, to provide for our families and servant girls (not that I can afford a servant girl, but that sure would be nice if I could pay a housekeeper in goat milk!!) I consider that a sure sign that the Big Guy himself is actually pro-goat and not anti-goat, and I have the scriptures to back it up, lol!! So the whole thing was fresh in my mind because of that.
Plus, God is the one who MADE goats, so ... :laugh: Just because they are used in an example, doesn't mean they are evil.

I did have to laugh at the sheep and goat Bible verse, though. :eek: :p

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hehe, no....
CSN stands for Christian Satellite Network and is a radio station that's beamed all over.

Baldwin 88.1 FM
Benton Harbor 91.1 FM
Caro / Vassar 89.3 FM
Royal Oak 89.5 FM
Walker / Grand Rapids 90.7 FM

It's happened before that somebody from far away mentions something we both just heard so I thought maybe it happened again.

My place has cats and goats. Some cultures placed cats high up but others say they're evil and steal your soul away. ha. ...and goats, I hate to mention the way way they are used in symbols (pentagram). There are some very negative connotations with goats. None of this stuff bothers me though cuz I know the truth and the truth will never change. (There I go alienating myself from the crowd again) Maybe sould have PM'd this but I notice lots of people here have the faith so it's a more comfortable place for me to share things like this, not that I'm a thumper or fanatic, just thought we may have had a little long distance coincident there with the sheep\goat\csn thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts