The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wether Pygmy that is just about three months old. He was banded at 2 days old. Lately he is acting a lot like what I suspect an intact male would act like. Mounting my female alot, I can smell a urine like odour from him from time to time, he's starting to bunt me a lot and rub his mouth over me. I'm worried there's a chance we may have banded him before the testicles dropped? Is this likely or will young weathers behave this way too?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm thinking way to young too... Pics would be good... I'm no expert but I do have a bucks and I do have wethers, and the do hump each other, but the peeing on himself sounds like bucky behavior to me, mine do that a lot, but my wethers don't.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it was done at two days old. I realize now that this was too young, but, I'm new to goats and I took the breeders advice.

I can try to get an picture but I've looked and there is nothing visible. I was present when the band and its "contents" fell off. This is a silly question but is there a chance the band may have removed the scrotum only? And left the testicles inside?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Since he was banded at 2 days that is most likely exactly what happened. The testicles hadn't dropped and you now have a fully intact buck.

I'm not sure what the procedure is now if there is enough material hanging to band again or if you'll need to see a vet so he can have them surgically removed.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
If you aren't careful when you band, the testicles can slip up into the body. There is a good chance you only banded the scrotum. At this point, surgery is the only option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts