Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by CodyMyGoat, Mar 1, 2009.

1. CodyMyGoat

CodyMyGoat New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    When our kids try to nurse, mama moves away...Or lets them eat for just a minute...The kids are about 3 weeks old, so is it normal for her to just move away sometimes??
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is normal for her to move away after they've had a few swallows, at this age they should be picking at more hay and getting a feel for more solid food. Check mom though for signs of scrapes on her teats, they do have teeth and sometimes those kids can be rough with mom. Make sure they still have full bellies and as always watch them for sign of distress. As long as they are growing and playing the way that babies do, they are fine.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I was sure a mom was not letting her kid eat as she was always steping away from him. But at 2 months old I happened to "catch" her standing there chewing her cud and he nursed his full. When he left at 3 months I was even more certain she had weaned him as her udder never felt full -- boy was I wrong. The next day her udder was full and needed to be milked! So they do let them nurse for longer periods - it just isnt usually when we are around. If the kids act lethargic or bellies start to look thin then I would get concerned
  4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Thats normal. I think it's their way of making the kids try the hay and grain. Dorcas walks away from her kids a lot. Then she will make a little sound(I think she's saying, "Milk bar is open kids!") and they will come running for their fill of milk.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is completely normal ...if you watch throughout the day.. the kids ..will do that ...on and off actuality ..they are getting more per day ...then you think..when mom moves away it helps to prevent over drinking keeps them from scouring, but there are those moms ...that will stand there ...for a while and those kids may develope milk scours..... :wink:
  6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep they all said it already . Normal. They do let them nurse longer I just believe they do that when we are around more then when we are not.