Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 8, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Or should I be worried?

The new babies have runny yellow poo. I remember when Sweetheart's buckling was born it was yellow but thick like peanut butter.

These two have very runny poo, and it's all over their rear ends. The little doeling has it the worst, pooping like crazy or so it seems. They seem to be acting fine, nursing, etc. They both got up to come and see us when I went in to check on them. They are about 22 hours old now, and this just started this morning. It's very hot outside, 93 with a heat index in the upper 90's. I do have a fan in the barn to circulate air, it's not directly on them. There is a shady area that we took Sweetheart and her baby in the afternoons, I was going to take them over there in a few minutes as it's much cooler.

I just want to make sure this is normal, and if so how long it can last before it starts to harden up? Anything I should do to help besides cleaning them off?

If it's not normal, what should I do?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Normal...it will firm up in the next day or so, just means that mama has some extremely good colostrum.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much! I am going to take them out into the shade now, it's grassy, and cooler than the stall.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No problem ...glad to help.... :greengrin:

6. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hoosier i am so glad you are asking all these questions

i knew their poo would be yellow, but didn't know runny poo was normal, and i'd be freaking out if i saw it.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I wasn't overly worried, but it had my attention. Their poo has hardened up, and they are doing great. Now this is one thing I can mark off my list as worries for the future!