The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Pygmy mix wether. He seems perfectly find. He's eating plenty, is very alert and quite playful. But I never see him drink. Is he drinking too little for me to notice? How much do they normally drink? Half his diet is fresh grass; could he be getting enough water from that??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok good. He's had me worried all day. If dehydration is an issue and goats don't drink in front of us how would we know?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I believe your new kid is a bottle baby, isn't he? I seem to recall reading that in another post. If that is the case, he is getting all the water he needs from his bottle of milk. When he is reaches the stage that he needs water, he will drink it. I would just make sure he has a bucket of clean, fresh water at all times - just in case he decides to try it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe your new kid is a bottle baby, isn't he? I seem to recall reading that in another post. If that is the case, he is getting all the water he needs from his bottle of milk. When he is reaches the stage that he needs water, he will drink it. I would just make sure he has a bucket of clean, fresh water at all times - just in case he decides to try it.
Nope. He's two yrs old and should know how to drink. But being my first goat I'm paranoid about everything.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've noticed that Peggy Sue drinks large amounts a couple times a day, instead of lots of trips to the water dish. I've never actually seen her babies drink water, but I know they must because they are healthy and nearly weaned. He's probably just taking a long drink when yer not around.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Sorry about that - I obviously had you confused with someone else. :eek: His not drinking might be because your water is just enough different than what he was used to he's still adjusting and only sips. You might try adding a little raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to his water bucket if you have access to it. Most goats love it and will drink more if it's in the water than if it isn't. Otherwise keep an eye on him and make sure he is hydrated using electrolytes if necessary.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He pees quite often. More so today than he has since I got him. Must have been stress of a new home and adjusting to the water. Thanks everyone for the tips :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts