The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't stop butterscotch from eating this...she got a couple of leaves down before I intervened. I need to know what it is, if it's ok for her to eat, and if not, if the couple of leaves she got down is enough to harm her. They are growing within a sparse blackberry patch on the edge of trees. I included two pics of the runner roots they are growing from. The plant kinda smells like carrots, and leaks a milky substance when a stem is broken (that's mainly why I'm freaking out...like milkweed which is toxic). Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think that's it, but I could be wrong. I have two types of honeysuckle growing here...the usual kind for us, which grows on vines hand has yellow yummy smelling flowers. Then I have a honeysuckle non-native bush that sprouts pink flowers...its a Titarian (Lonicera tatarica) I think, and the leaves don't look the same, nor does the bush smell like carrots when a branch is broken. At first I thought it was the tree of heavens spreading, but when you break their branches they STINK. Also, the TOH are different in appearance and how they come up out of the ground. Oh Heavens I hope someone can tell me what it is!!! There's a whole bunch of them!

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes, it does look like vining Honeysuckle. Shouldn't hurt them a bit, they love it.

·
730 Posts
I have the exact same stuff here and my goats have been chompin on it for almost 2 years now with zero issues.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
A few bites of just about any toxic plant will not affect a goat to badly as you need to get into that 1% total body way index before it starts to become bad. Other then Yew shrubs like Japaneses Yew . 8 oz. of that can kill a horse or a cow, as long as you just keep doing what you just did, you should be great :)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
And Rhodies of some types. I had a particular large leaved red flowered Rhodie in my yard when I moved into this place. Just one leaf off that darn thing and they would start slinging cud. It met it demise quickly.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
hehe I hear that GH! The above pictures made me think Rhodie of some sort cause of the shine on the leaves but as you said. A few bites of that and the puke starts to fly. So although NOT GOOD for the goats to eat. I have never seen any of them eat enough to really hurt them as they are puking it all up so fast :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only plant I have that is in the rhododendron family (that I know of, mind you) is one azalea plant, and babies are kept far away from it. Hubby won't let me cut it down because it's so beautiful when it blooms...huge white flowers. I even said to him what if the goats get out somehow or get loose and eat it, then how are you gonna feel (since he loves the babies). Typical of him, he said "They won't get out". Pfft. Mr. "I know everything and am always right". SIGH.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
The only plant I have that is in the rhododendron family (that I know of, mind you) is one azalea plant, and babies are kept far away from it. Hubby won't let me cut it down because it's so beautiful when it blooms...huge white flowers. I even said to him what if the goats get out somehow or get loose and eat it, then how are you gonna feel (since he loves the babies). Typical of him, he said "They won't get out". Pfft. Mr. "I know everything and am always right". SIGH.
HAHAHAHA!!! my bf is like that too. I've been wanting to eradicate most of the avocado trees around our yard, which is supposedly poisonous. the goats keep eating leaves and the bark, and nothing's happened, but I don't want to chance it. FINALLY he's going to remove the little ones that won't be bearing any fruit b/c they're so small, and keeping just the one on the land that's big and has potential to have avocados (hopefully soon).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts