The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, does anyone leave a free-choice mineral block out for their goats, the kind that weigh about 35 lbs. and have high protein in it? We have one that is labeled for horses at our feed store and I was wondering if it would be okay for goaties. What do u think? Goats and horses have about the same needs for copper, right? Do u see anything wrong in getting this for them?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we always have something out for them, loose or in a block. I've just noticed it is easier w/ the blocks. They seem to love it too, eat it like candy whereas the loose mineral just so-so. Maybe it's the protein? Or maybe they just eat their loose minerals when I'm not looking. :) I don't know. . . . :wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
We use both loose minerals and a protein block for our goats.
The protein block really makes a difference in our meat goats muscle development.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yeah, we use the same salt block we do for our horses and for the goats. We have two kinds... One is just the white salt block, the other is a brown one, forget what it's called, but it works really well and the goats just love it. After a week, you'll see little dips all over in the block from them licking on it all the time. They work well and not as wasteful as loose minerals.

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
Those blocks just help to add protein to their diet. They have some minerals in them but most if the block is protein. You can offer them but I would also offer loose minerals too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts