Is This Okay?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Aug 9, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Okay, does anyone leave a free-choice mineral block out for their goats, the kind that weigh about 35 lbs. and have high protein in it? We have one that is labeled for horses at our feed store and I was wondering if it would be okay for goaties. What do u think? Goats and horses have about the same needs for copper, right? Do u see anything wrong in getting this for them?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, I compared the label for the goats to the one for horses and they looked the same, I didn't look super, super close but they looked the same. . .

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no it wont hurt them. Always anything labled just for goats and that is loose is best but it is better then nothing thats for sure.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, we always have something out for them, loose or in a block. I've just noticed it is easier w/ the blocks. They seem to love it too, eat it like candy whereas the loose mineral just so-so. Maybe it's the protein? Or maybe they just eat their loose minerals when I'm not looking. :) I don't know. . . . :wink:

5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    We use both loose minerals and a protein block for our goats.
    The protein block really makes a difference in our meat goats muscle development.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, we use the same salt block we do for our horses and for the goats. We have two kinds... One is just the white salt block, the other is a brown one, forget what it's called, but it works really well and the goats just love it. After a week, you'll see little dips all over in the block from them licking on it all the time. They work well and not as wasteful as loose minerals.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I like the big blocks that have 20% protein in them. I don't want my dairy goats getting too muscled though, will that happen w/ this? They need to be in good condition but not "ripped". :)

8. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Those blocks just help to add protein to their diet. They have some minerals in them but most if the block is protein. You can offer them but I would also offer loose minerals too.