The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-1650406302.jpg

Our doe has had a weepy/crusty eye for the last couple of days. We did some research and are treating with polysporin triple in the eye 2x /day. I have read a bit about using tylan which isn't available to us, and oxytetracycline which is. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should also mention that the inner corner looks very strange, pink and swollen(?) with flecks of white.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
If she has irritation in the inner corner, Check the 3rd eyelid really close,really get in there or take her to a vet.
look around everywhere, may have a sticker or something in there.
If it is a scratch or pinkeye, it should be getting better with treatment. No squinting. Sounds like she isn't responding, tells me, there is most Likely something in there.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
I agree use triple antibiotic cream or Neospordin 2-3 X a day..keeping the eye area clean and dry as possible

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been cleaning it before we apply the ointment and it keeps coming back. Will up the ointment though

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
You can use Listerine or Vinegar/water solution to clean the face, it will disinfect the area. ALso as stated already..see if you can get a real good look, be sure she doesnt have something on the eye...if after a few days of treatment its still bad, a vet visit is needed to see if she scratch her eye...they should put drops in the eye and take a special light ( I htink a blue light??) to see if there are scratches...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can you use the Vetercyin pink eye wash? It may help keep the eye flushed out. You can purchase it at TSC.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A doe I just brought home has an eye irritation from getting a strand of grass stuck way up in her eye. There is no discharge but the eye is a bit cloudy. The breeder's vet prescribed pinkeye medicine just the same as is used in humans. I unfortunately know this because I had pinkeye a week ago and am giving her my leftover drops. I believe it is called Ciprofloxacin. I am giving the drops it 2 times a day.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
For pink eye I give a shot of la200 and also use in the eye with out needle. Its kinda sticky and seems to stay in the eye better. You also want to keep her in a darker area not out in the sun. It sure does seem to be bad more in the corner then any where else. With pink eye the lower eye lid gets kinda puffy but this seems to be right in the corner.

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
You can use LA 200/Tylan 200 or penicillin as a eye drop ONLY WHEN there is not an ulcer present...the reason I did not suggest the antibiotic in this case, even though I dont see an ulcer, is her eye looks strange in the picture.. a yellow area...the eye cream works well, I suspect the antibioitc may sting or irritate further...Hopefully after a vet sees it we will know more.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
As I mentioned prior, she has something in her eye, that needs to be found and removed.

If it was pinkeye, after a few days will start feeling better with no squinting. She is squinting which tells me, there is something in there.

I use LA200 on any eye ailments cloudy or ulcered. Yes, it does kill pinkeye and heals most any infection. 2x a day for 5 days. the cloudiness may take longer to heal up but, the sensitivity and squinting will be gone.

I don't feel it is pinkeye. :(

Take her to a vet, if you can find what is irritating her. That 3rd eyelid is really hard sometimes to see even a small sticker ect.

It will only get worse, not better and will begin to ulcerate, if there is indeed something in there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has completely clouded over now, tried but couldn't seem to find anything...Although I know it can be hard to find, this has happened to is before. Vet is unavailable for the next couple days so I will have to continue with the ointment and hope it helps:(

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
How frustrating for you..Im sorry...Hopefully the ointment helps

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ohhh no :(
What I would do since your between a rock and hard spot is still do the treatment and every time you do che k that corner. Hopefully the eye puffs up and pushes it to where you can see it. I know it seems dumb but keeping her out of the sun will help with the cloudy. What I do in cases that I still want to treat the eye every day is get a pair of jeans just a circle out big enough to cover the eye then glue above the eye. It keeps the sun out an you can still treat. Hope she gets better soon :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well good news is today she is looking better...eye still cloudy but she isn't squinting as much and her eye isn't as watery or crusty so I'm thinking/ hoping this is working:) She is in her own pen in the barn out of the sun so that must be helping too. Crossing my fingers for the next few days...

·
Registered
30,574 Posts
Good news

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update! So although it was no longer weepy, it was not getting better and was all white. It really worsened last night. We took her to the vet today and he said the eye ulcerated, we had no idea. It was most likely from a blunt force trauma to the eye, which explains why we couldn't see anything stuck. Vet prescribed two different types of stuff, drops and an ointment that we have to use 4x per day. He said she might still lose some eyesight but the next couple of days should show some improvement.
Posted a pic of it this morning in case anyone was wondering what this could look like.

image-1593736730.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts