The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. In the sequel to ‘is this yew?’ we have, is this plum?
My dad cut off a bunch of this tree today and it flew into the field. I have tried to clean up, but I’m bound to have missed something.

My hair is steadily turning grey with stress sorry for so much plant ID... I chose my username for this specific reason.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I couldn’t tell you. Sorry. But I can tell you not to be ashamed of what you don’t know. If you ask a question and someone knows the answer. They are generally only too happy to share the knowledge. Keep asking questions. I did the same thing on a plant id website when we moved to our house. Trying to figure out what we’re weeds and what we’re planned perennials. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
I think that does look like some sort of plum. Do you know if the tree ever gets any sort of flowers or fruit?

We really love answering all questions on this forum, so don't worry about it, but have you ever tried the app Plantsnap? I don't know whether it works over in the UK, but it's been pretty useful for me over here in the US.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't tell you. Sorry. But I can tell you not to be ashamed of what you don't know. If you ask a question and someone knows the answer. They are generally only too happy to share the knowledge. Keep asking questions. I did the same thing on a plant id website when we moved to our house. Trying to figure out what we're weeds and what we're planned perennials. Welcome to the forum.
Ahhh thank you :) I was scared of looking stupid.
I have found a plant ID website, but it never uploads pictures from mobile, so I decided to ask here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that does look like some sort of plum. Do you know if the tree ever gets any sort of flowers or fruit?

We really love answering all questions on this forum, so don't worry about it, but have you ever tried the app Plantsnap? I don't know whether it works over in the UK, but it's been pretty useful for me over here in the US.
I haven't seen anything, no, but it's in a section of the field that I never go. (embarrassed)

I have been using PlantSnap, as well as PictureThis, and plantid, but they're all kind of unreliable. I find that if I take a picture from a different angle, I get a totally different result. With this, I have been told plum, apple, birch, hazel, and once even watermelon:shrug:
My friend told me it was hazel, but with him not being able to identify in person, I thought I should get more opinions.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,614 Posts
Another thing that can be useful when identifying trees is a picture of the bark. That can often determine between a few options if the bark looks different. My advice since the plant apps are letting you down would be to get a good identification book. If you were in the US I could recommend some, but as you are not... Make sure that the book has lots of pictures. Leaves, bark, how the leaves are arranged, even the general shape of the tree are all things a good identification book should have.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts

I use the app Plantsnap. It's wonderful.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,414 Posts
Oh mercy. If we ever move to a different property with our goats, then I'LL be the one asking all the plant questions. I'm terrible at ID-ing most trees!

However, I am very good at finding poison ivy. Usually by having a reaction to it!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.