Is this possible? Micro Sheep?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Iceblink, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    So I bought a 'lamb' at an auction on monday night to keep my week old bottle baby company. I kept the new one seperated until we went to the vet today. The vet told me she has all her adult teeth, and is probably full grown. She is only 12" tall and weighs 21.5lbs!

From what I can find online, not even miniature sheep are that small. And she doesn't look like any of the pictures of mini sheep I can find. Does anyone know of a breed that weighs 21lbs as adults? And what are the chances that I could have bought one at an auction way out in Podunkville?

The vet said some things that made me wonder though, like that you can't tell if a ruminant is pregnant until it gives birth. But I've read enough on here to know that there are some signs. Was he pulling my leg about the whole thing? Or do some lambs grow in all their big teeth early?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She is probably a smaller breed of sheep like a border leister and has been severely stunted...possibly due to lack of quality feed or a worm overload. There is no breed of sheep that small that I know of. Do you have any pics?

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I can not answer the question but I would sure love to see a picture of her. I bet she is a doll. :)

4. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I'll try and get pictures of her tomorrow. It's hard to get good ones as she won't stay far enough away. About pictures though, how do I post them?

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Photobucket is a free site for uploading pictures. :wink:

I also think she was stunted. Although I could see someone breeding for mini mini sheep, they do that with miniature horses. (stupid people, it's not a good gene to breed for)

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    babydoll sheep are minitures but not sure how small they are - but I know they are fairly small.

as to the pictures -they need to be 430X430 pix - click the browse button and find it on your computer after you resized it I gave explenations on this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8887

7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If you have trouble posting, you can email them to me and i'll resize and post them for ya....I don't have anything to do. :wink:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I'd love to see pics..... :love: :greengrin:

9. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    OK, I'll try this.[attachment=2:1z9y4sbp]Ginger 001.jpg[/attachment:1z9y4sbp] Here is her head. Giving her a bottle (straight water) was the only way I could keep her far enough to take a picture. She LOVES bottles, she waggles her little tail the whole time. Is that normal for a grown sheep?
    [attachment=1:1z9y4sbp]Ginger 002.jpg[/attachment:1z9y4sbp]
    [attachment=0:1z9y4sbp]Ginger 005.jpg[/attachment:1z9y4sbp]
    Here she is next to my 8 day old Dorper bottle lamb, Portia. In the background, you can just see a white zip-tie (I know I need to cut these off) but for reference, the zip tie is 22" from the ground.

Does she look like any breed that you know of? I did give her a bath, so her fleece is naturally that color. She was with a mixed flock, so, if she is an adult, I suppose there is a chance she could be pregnant. I really hope not though. The other sheep were a big range of sizes, mostly in the 90-200 lb range, which is why I thought she was a lamb.

10. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Google babydoll southdowns

11. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Well, she is small, even for the Babydoll Southdowns. From the association page:

12. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    KW, thank you, I poked around, and I think I figured it out. Can you all see them?

13. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Well, she doesn't look like a Southdown.

Actually, what is her fleece like? She looks more like a hair sheep than a wool breed.

But, still small!

Is there any chance your vet could be mistaken about her teeth?

I do have a three year old goat that will still greedily take a bottle, but *most* animals loose the ability to suck a nipple unless they use it regularly.

14. Iceblink

Iceblink New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    It was the first time I have gone to that vet, and he is the only one who sees large animals in the area. He said some other things that I didn't think were right, so I suppose he could be wrong about her teeth. That's why I asked here, because it seems unlikely that she could be an adult.

Not knowing all that much about fleece, I would have to describe it as soft and fluffy. Maybe 1 1/2" long, but that probably doesn't help you much? Her fleece is much softer than Portia's, who is a hair sheep.

15. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Wool breed sheep will generally have a "fleece" pretty early on. It is soft, but kind of springy, and it will be kind of curled. I grew up with Dorsets, but I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about all the sheep breeds.

Your other baby is a Dorper though. And you are correct, that is a hair sheep breed.

16. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but you could try this website to match her up as close as possible to one of these breeds of sheep.... http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/

If she just takes a bottle that easily then I would think she is probably younger than the vet thinks.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have two bottle babies who are adults one is a 3 year old the other is 1 years old. The one year old just realized how to suck the bottle again after just playing with the nipple for a while. The 3 year old just chews it.

it isnt impossible but I would be skeptical about her being anything older then a year old if that. But I have been known to be wrong many times.

The chances of her being pregnant are still there even if she is a baby -- either way I hope she isnt

18. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Have you check her teeth? Here a site telling you how to do it. http://www.smallstock.info/tools/sheep/aging.htm#1. Compare her teeth to the bottle baby. She could be a cross between a wool and hair sheep. Most hair breeds are on the small side compared to wool breeds. My friend's painted desert sheep weight 90 at the every most. His 6 month olds lambs are half the size of my 3 month olds lambs. Shelly

19. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not know anything about sheep, but no matter how old she is she is so cute. Look at that face.

I would look at the teeth also but the ting is they cna get Adult teeth early and I have seen a three year old buck with all baby teeth so it is just a guess.