The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lady we bought our 2 ND's from told me to feed free choice Purina Noble Goat food. When they turn 4 months old, which is this week, cut this back to 1 cup each day. I have a doe and a wether. Does this sound right? (along with grass hay, pasture browsing and free choice minerals)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe you. I haven't actually kept their food bowl full with Noble Goat because they seem to eat it like it's candy. Instead I have been giving them about 4 cupfuls throughout the day knowing that this week I will cut this down to 1 cup a day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't make such a huge cut.
That can upset their tummies! D:
Just slowly cut back
Okay, good to know. This week I'll start slowly cutting back until I get to 1 cup a day.

So, just 1 cup daily for both goats to share (knowing my wether will get the lion's share) or is it 1 cup for each goat daily? (separate feed bowls)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious since I didn't get too many replies - do you guys feed some thing different altogether? Rather than Purina Noble Goat, perhaps something different?

Also is the Noble Goat fine to feed my wether?

·
Super Moderator
59,636 Posts
You can ultimately feed them about 1/2 to 1 cup each per day. I would find a way to separate and make sure they are both getting their share. The wether doesn't need a lot of feed especially. Everything really depends on what you plan to do with them. Pets don't need as much grain as a milker or buck in rut.

·
Registered
775 Posts
We feed Noble Goat, but never free choice. My Alpine had trouble keeping weight on as a kid, so she gets 1 handful every evening. Our 11 week old triplets get 1 handful split between the three of them daily. Our lactating doe gets as much as she can clean up while we milk her, but I always mix it with alfalfa leaves to slow her down. Our wether gets none because it increases the risk of developing UC. Plus, he is fat enough off of just alfalfa and water. :) I definitely don't think free-choice would be a good idea. Goats are ruminants, and they need roughage first and foremost. Just slowly reduce from what you are feeding until you get to a reasonable amount. Keep in mind that I am feeding standard size Nubians and Alpines too. :)

·
I'm watching you
22,525 Posts
The wether I would cut back even more and slowly change him over to 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets twice a day. He can eat his alfalfa pellets while your girl is eating her grain pellets.
It is better for them to eat a smaller amount twice a day. Now, if you're not planning to breed your doeling, I would feed her the same way and cut out grain pellets completely. Otherwise she will get fat and suffer cystic ovaries later in life.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So this sounds like a good plan. I'm not planning to breed the doe. These are both pets only. I take it the alfalfa pellets are better or have more nutritional value than the Purina Noble Goat? This is better for them?

When this 50# bag of Noble Goat is gone, I'll get alfalfa pellets. Then feed them separately. 1/2 cup each twice a day. Does this sound good?

The wether I would cut back even more and slowly change him over to 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets twice a day. He can eat his alfalfa pellets while your girl is eating her grain pellets.
It is better for them to eat a smaller amount twice a day. Now, if you're not planning to breed your doeling, I would feed her the same way and cut out grain pellets completely. Otherwise she will get fat and suffer cystic ovaries later in life.

·
1,524 Posts
Which Noble Goat feed? They make a couple. One of them contains Ammonium chloride, that helps keep UC from starting. Check out the label, it will list it in the ingredients.

Personally, I don't like Purina, but a lot of people love it.

·
I'm watching you
22,525 Posts
So this sounds like a good plan. I'm not planning to breed the doe. These are both pets only. I take it the alfalfa pellets are better or have more nutritional value than the Purina Noble Goat? This is better for them?

When this 50# bag of Noble Goat is gone, I'll get alfalfa pellets. Then feed them separately. 1/2 cup each twice a day. Does this sound good?
This sounds good to me. The difference with feed is the minerals. When feeding a forage pellet instead of grain pellets it's doubly important that they have good quality minerals free choice. It is much better for them healthwise though. I also put a horse vitamin block in for my boys.
If you can find sweet lix meat maker minerals, they contain the ammonium chloride for your wether.
The grain pellets are dosed so low that the AC does little good unless you are feeding them way too much for pets.
You can also buy the AC and dose them with dosage balls, cook it into treat cookies, etc. If you want that option.
I don't use AC myself, never have unless needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.