The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2 very sweet ND's that are almost 7 months old-a doe and a wether. I am a new goat owner and want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to prevent the wether from getting urinary calculi.

This is what I'm doing. They get free choice hay and free choice Manna Pro goat mineral that has ammonium chloride. They each get 1/2 cup of alfalfa pellets daily. This is their only pelleted food.

Is this good for the wether so he does not get urinary calculi?

(also, they were on Purina brand goat mineral until I realized it did not have ammonium chloride. Since they've been on Manna pro I could swear their fur has become softer. Would Manna Pro mineral be responsible for their softer fur?)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
It's very possible that Manna Pro is responsible for the softer hair. If you read the label on the Purina Goat Mineral you will notice that it contains almost 50% salt which limits how much mineral they can eat. What kind of hay are you feeding? Do you know what age he was castrated at?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Manna Pro is a better quality mineral. Glad it is working for you.

Yes the alfalfa pellets are good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know his exact age he was castrated at but we got him at 3 months old and at that time everything had fallen off and it looked as if he'd always been that way. They were eating coastal Bermuda but at the recommendation of the feed store clerk I got sudan hay (we're in Texas) which I'm slowly switching over to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts