Is this right?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Thunderhill, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    I recently paid 400 for a bred Nigerian doe from a farm 2 hours South of me. The Folks were going to Tennessee the following week to pick up another goat and I asked if they could pull off the exit at the Interstate they were traveling on and let me get my goat from them. Its only about 3 miles from my home and would be easier. They said yes...they were going that way anyway but I would need to pay 25.00 for Gas. Wha.....???
    I just know that if I were going to go 300 feet from my already planned path, carrying a goat in my dog crate in the back of my pickup (that I already planned to take since I was picking up a goat)...I would not charge the buyer anything for dropping their purchase off.

So....I just kept my mouth shut, met the at them gas station, got my goat, paid them the extra 25 bucks, and watched them go ahead and gas up and get McDonalds for their breakfast (so even the pulloff might have been planned) and went home feeling a little taken advantage of...But with a great goat (which will prolly be the only one I ever get from them...not because of the goat tho..)

Am I wrong? Am I just being over-sensitive and silly??

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    $25.00 extra? come on now! Even with the price of gas that little "side shot" wasn't worth that much! It was decent of them to agree to the pull off but you are right, I do think that you just bought them a meal!

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I disagree with what they did but I guess there's nothing you can do know.

4. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    Yep, I thought it just wasn't right/. I would never do that to someone, especially if they just spent 400.00 with me.
    The only thing I can do now is never get anything from them again...and I plan to buy around 10 more Nigerian does this year...so they lose out in the long run.
    Thanks Guys!

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    I hope I don't sound cold hearted but it would cost me $50.00 in fuel to take a two hour trip to pick up a goat so to me to have a goat delivered for $25.00 and save me 4 hours travel. I would feel like I got a deal. I mean so you helped her with her fuel cost but you saved yourself time, money and mileage on your car.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    trob, I do understand that it is a small price to pay for convenience,

But I do still agree with everyone else that if the person was going that way regardless and you spent that much money with them - that was not right. It is just bad business in my opinion.

But, then again, I don't think I could ever purchase a doe for that much either - at least not right now :)

7. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    I understand what you're saying trob, and I see your point. I just didn't think it was good business since the breeder was already heading along that path...and not something I would have done to my customer.

Yes she was expensive, but I saved up for her and I just love her to death.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    while I sypathize you can't expect them to deliver for free even if they are traveling that far already.

The price of the animal should not dictate the type of service you receive from them via delivery.

just because it isn't something you would have done doesn't mean that it is bad business practice.

If I had an issue with it I would have mentioned it to them directly when you discussed it.

9. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I think sometimes things like this are a matter of perception. I would bet that you are the type of person who wouldn't even think of charging extra if you were not going out of your way. I wouldn't either and the thought of charging a delivery fee would not enter our minds. But they may feel that they did you a favor by taking the time from their trip to meet with you and feel that a small fee is not unreasonable for their trouble. They may even feel good about the trouble they saved you by being so amenable. Everyone sees things differently. If you are pleased with your doe and would like to get more from the same lines, I don't think that this incident should make you go elsewhere. The next time this probably won't be an issue because odds are you'll have to pick up anyway.

Congrats on your new doe!!! :)

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I don't know I have been charged that much before. I think its fair. I was looking to have a yearling buck ground shipped with Ron keener who does this for a living and from california to washington he was going to charge me four hundred aqnd fifty dollars, it would of been cheaper to ship him by air. i know it didn'y cost this much in gas from cali to southern wa even with his truck and trailer and that is with several animals on board.
    beth

11. Thunderhill

Thunderhill New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    North Alabama
    You're right. I would never even consider charging one of my customers if I were not going our of my way. I have in fact transported a couple goats for some folks I barely know all the way from Texas, just because it was already on my path...didn't charge them a thing. Never would have crossed my mind.
    People are just different I guess...keeps the world interesting

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    and by being that way, you will gain more people who want to purchase from you and there will be added benifits from that kindness.

13. oldntimes

oldntimes New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ne Ohio
    Personally I would not even think twice about the $25.00 delivery fee. I would have saved me a lot of time and gas money so I would of gladly welcomed thier offer. Even though they were going that way is not the point.... it is still having the goat delivered. JMO.

On the other Note I have met people tons of time both to pick up and to deliver goats and there was never a charge from me or the other pary. I am just saying if I was in your situation and someone was bringing a goat right to me then I would exspect to pay gas money.

It is hard for people these days to travel with the price of gas, and everything going up except the paycheck LOL!!!!

As long as you are happy with the goat that should be all that matter. :cool:

14. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i can understand both sides. i don't think that is alot to know that your goat will get there safe. i understand how you feel after paying that much. i guess what i would look at is how would you have gotten her & how much would it cost you if they didn't offer to bring her.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Personally, I don't feel it was wrong for them to charge an extra $25, even if the trip was planned. I personally, would be willing to pay an extra to meet the breeder somewhere. When I bought Raven, the breeder offered to meet us halfway, because she wanted to visit a friend anyway. She wouldn't let me(I did anyway though) but I still payed her extra for meeting us half way with Raven.

That is just how I feel on the subject :wink: