Is this ringworm? Pictures included

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sether55, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Sether55

Sether55 Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Ohio
    2E81D386-AE20-476C-8E68-F89879D56C4B.jpeg BCF7BB6F-8583-4452-950D-C05457C9C079.jpeg I suspected ringworm in two of my does and as I shaved them it got worse and worse and now I don’t know what it is. I’m treating with iodine.

2. intrepid-dreamer

intrepid-dreamer Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Oregon
    Did you happen to get any pictures of what they looked like before you shaved them? Also, if you could get some close up pictures of the specific areas that are infected, that might help in diagnosing them. Ringworm is typically a scabby ring. Iodine should help.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Agreed. We need a closer photo of the lesions.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I would have the vet do a scraping to identify it, she looks spotted in the pic, but as I look at the hair you shaved is she supposed to be all brown? In the meantime I would wash her with an iodine based soap and apply nustock. Make sure her bedding is dry and very clean.

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yikes. That looks pretty nasty. How strong is the iodine you're using? It can be pretty hard on the skin, and truth be told, I had no luck with it when we had ringworm a few years ago. One of my goats had it and gave it to me. I don't know if Nustock would help, but that is now my go-to treatment for most skin ailments these days. It's great stuff!

The thing that worked on our ringworm was Lucas' Papaw ointment from Australia. I tried iodine, Blu-Kote, alcohol, diluted bleach, and an over-the-counter medication specifically for ringworm without any change. Then I started the Papaw ointment because it was sitting in my cabinet and I was feeling desperate at that point. The ringworm was gone within a week. Nowadays I'd probably try Nustock first because it's easier to get in the U.S. and a lot cheaper. But that Papaw ointment was amazing!

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think that is ringworm. That is pretty bad. You may want to get a vet involved.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She needs a vet to determine what it is and treated right away before it gets even worse.

I do like Nu-stock, it may help but, it is good to know what you are dealing with.