The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vet told us recently that 2 of our goats have ringworm and this morning I found this on my daughters back :( do you think she has ringworm too????? thanks

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, if you look closely, you can see that there is a scratch in the exact same spot. Is it an infection? Is she up to date on tetanus? Do you think maybe the scratch irritated her skin? I would definitely get it checked out though if your goats did indeed have ringworm.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Take it from someone who has had ringworm several times, yes it is ringworm and its not that terrible. Put tea tree oil on it twice a day and it will clear up in a few days. Don't rub it or anything cause it will spread. Tea tree oil smells awful but it works wonders.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Ringworm is such a PITA. I rescued some kittens and they gave it to the house. 5 or so months later, I am just considering us ringworm free.

What did your vet tell you to do for the goats? Seems like it would be harder to find every little spot on them to treat with cream.

·
1,524 Posts
We bought a herd of springing heifers when we ahd the dairy farm, they all had ringworm. All 4 of my sons and I got it all over. The medication the doctor gave us didn't do anything for it. We finally ended up using Blu-Kote, which killed it right off. We were purple for a while, but at least it the ringworm was gone.

Very, very easily spread and pretty gross to those who have it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I swear by tea tree oil. I put it the soap and wash goats with it if I find a place in them... wear gloves so you dont get it. Then I put it or an anti fungal cream on the spots I see.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with the rest - that is ringworm. Mom used to use bleach to treat it, but I'm not sure how she did it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Definitely ringworm. I tried OTC anti fungals for my daughter and that just pissed it off. In 2 days it looked like the pic. It took a visit to the dr and 2 special meds to clear it! The pic is of her bicep area.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Definitely ringworm. I tried OTC anti fungals for my daughter and that just pissed it off. In 2 days it looked like the pic. It took a visit to the dr and 2 special meds to clear it! The pic is of her bicep area.
Wow, I've only ever gotten small spots. The biggest might have half dollar sized but most were dime size

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I get it, I rub bleach on with a cotton swab, twice a day for too days. If you have sensitive skin... I don't recommend this. In that case try rubbing alchohol. Either one will help kill it and dry it out. Then athletes foot cream twice a day untill its gone. Sunlight will help kill it. You can also smother it with liquid bandaid.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My cat had ringworm and the breeder who I bought it from had me use lotramin ointment ( like for athletes feet) keep it on there till it goes away

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Vet said it would go way on the goats once it ran its course.... Or I could use the cream for athletes foot. That's what we did and the one goat seems to be clear but my other 7 month old seems to have it now.. We have been using the cream on my daughter and it didn't seem to be working so now I am trying tea tree oil and cream it look to be drying up abit but still red and itchy... :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts