Is this typical of young bucklings breeding?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by enjoytheride, Oct 30, 2008.

1. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Junior, who is 8 months old, can't seem to harmonize with his harem. Tim has been in season about 4 times since he came. At first he was very enthusiastic but a little short on success. He stood so cose to her that he lost his balance, set down on his rump then rolled over backwards. Now when Tim comes into season, he is only vaguely interested in her. Then as soon as she goes out of season, he's all excited about breeding. This week Tim was so standing in heat that she actually turned her head around and pushed him towards her rear end. No good, two days later, he was chasing her all over the place and she would have none of him.
    He has three does with him and I'm not sure any have been successfully bred. He constantly checks them out but it doesn't seem to go any further. He was much more lively when he was 6 months old.
    No one bullies him- he's king of the place although he shorter than the girls. ????????

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is there a way you can keep him from the girls? Sometimes the "want and can't have" has an affect on the boys...young or old! I have a 8 month old that has to "fight" 2 bigger boys to get a sniff at the fence...I had one doe for him...needless to say a bit of teasing and he did what he was supposed to do, afterwards though he got hit hard by the jealous big boys. I don't know if the "making him wait" tactic will work for you or not.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    He spends each night with another 4 month old buckling. Then they run together each day. Is that good enough?

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My bucks don't have access to the buck until she's in standing heat so once they're with her they're all excited about doing the deed and often breed at least once immediately. So perhaps you should separate him until a doe is in season so he gets all worked up and can try harder during standing heat.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My boys are on the opposite side of a wood wall with only an inch to 2 inches in between the boards, but about 6 feet up the boards have more space between them.

Some of my does let me know when they are in heat by standing next to that wall and the boys are hooting and holloring. Then I let the "chosen one" out on a leash and we are good.

But I do think that if you can work your boy up by seperating them completely - it might help - but he might just not be ready. I have a 1 year old Boer and a 1 year old Nubian bucks that really do not have any interest. Then you have Joe - the little "hormone ball" in himself!

Good Luck ETR

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'll try keeping him seperate for awhile and see if his enthusiasm increases.

BTW- I'm having a very very hard time posting - only on goatweb. Many times I simply can't get to any page and if I do it's a loooooong wait. So if I can't get back, could someone let Stacey know for me? This had been going on for days.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would definately recommend seperating him so he can still see and smell the does. This should make him anxious to get out there and when you let him in w/ the doe, he should do his thing.