Is this wormer ok to use for goats???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KW Farms, Jan 2, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I bought a box of horse wormer for the horses, but I have a bunch left over and am wondering if this would work alright for goats. I've never used it on my goats before so i'm not sure...This is what it says...

Inverchoice, invermectin paste 1.87%
    (invermectin) Anthelmintic and Boticide
    *for use in horses only
    Removes worms and bots with a single dose.
    Contents will treat up to 1250 lb body weight.

2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I have used the Ivermectin Liquid horse wormer (which my vet recommended) and it works great! But I have never tried any of the paste wormer on my goats :shrug: Maybe someone else on here has :scratch:

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I think it should be ok if it has the same ingredients as regular invermectin and I assume you would use the same dosage (meaning weightX3=dose). I would check and see if anyone had used it though.

4. mom2goats

mom2goats Guest

Feb 15, 2009
    Same here~did you use it with your goats? And if so, how much?
    :scratch:
    Thanks,
    Andrea

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup just calculate your goats weight by 3 then give the dosage for that weight.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    That is exactly what I am using to worm my goats this year. I gave 3 times the amount/per body weight as instructed. So, for my 100 lb. goat I gave a 300 lb. dosage.

7. mom2goats

mom2goats Guest

Feb 15, 2009
    Great~thanks for the info! Can the little ones be treated as well....they were born on March 08,2009! Also, as far as treating for worms, little ones are treated as well?

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the Ivercare as well as the Horse Health Equine Ivermectin paste...both are 1.87%

Kids at 6 weeks get 1/2 to 1cc of the paste, and repeated in 10 days. Must be working because fecals came back all clear :greengrin:

9. mom2goats

mom2goats Guest

Feb 15, 2009
    Thanks! We are still "new" with all of this!! :thumb:

10. mom2goats

mom2goats Guest

Feb 15, 2009
    So you use both the worming stuff & Ivermectin Paste 1.87% at the same time~sorry cecils really confusing me on this~~nothing like complicating issues here!! :shrug:
    :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no ivermectin is the active ingredient at 1.87% in the wormer.

Any horse paste that has ivermectin 1.87% is safe for goats even kids and milking does.

It will come in a variety of names so just check the active ingredient list and if it is Ivemectin or fabenzadol (sp?) that is safe too but isnt as effective in some areas.