The Goat Spot Forum banner

is true commercial still oportunities? WHy so stagnant?

866 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bbellhbl 
"I am just curious why US production has been so stagnant." mcompton1973

I noticed when the economy gagged in 2009 I stopped getting calls from customers wanting to start a herd of any kind--commercial or registered. In the last year those calls have started again.
IMO, people on small acreage sold off assets to keep afloat. Now it seems some are able to see some cash to start a new endeavor.

I agree that the marketing infrastructure for goat/sheep meat is lacking in most of the country. In our area there has been some effort to consolidate marketing by building a group of producers to sell together. Unfortunately that has not been successful.

Most sales barns only sell by the head (don't weigh), don't grade groups. That makes it difficult to know what you're getting a pound if you haven't weighed them yourself before going to to the auction barn.
Repeat customers for meat goats come to the farm and choose their animal. Some bring the family. It's really neat to see how different cultures want different types(age, size) of animals.

I have been looking into what it would take to sell frozen chevon online. If you look at prices for that, there is certainly a demand!
Now to build a herd size to have enough meat to market that way!! :think: :think: :think:

Oh, Yeah, Get busy, King Tut! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.