Is Your local Tractor Supply a Mess?

Discussion in 'Business Review Forum' started by MellonFriend, Mar 10, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

The first time I was ever in a Tractor Supply was about a year ago when we got our first goats. At the time the store was in the process of switching to a new manager and was very poorly stocked and understaffed. I thought it was just as a result of the change in hands, but now almost a year later things are no different. Shelves are a complete mess. You would be hard pressed to find a tidy spot in the whole store. Not to mention the shelves are half empty because they are out of stock of so many thing. They don't even stock any type of goat mineral, cattle mineral, or Replamin. How can they not stock Replamin? We figured it would be easier to order online and pick up in store so that we can be sure they have in stock what we want, but then you half to wait twice as long for them to get your stuff than it would be to go through the check out.

We just wonder if this is how it is with Tractor Supply or if it is just our store? It makes me want to take my business elsewhere.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California

If possible I would certainly take my business to a smaller locally owned feed store, but truth is even they can't always get or stock what we want either. No my TSC's are not a mess at least not how your talking. But the one closest to me carries a lot more farm and livestock supplies then the next store and the third I don't think I've been to, but my understanding is they carry more yard, home and pet products but very limited for farm and livestock. There are things I run to TSC for first like supplements and dog and cat food, but when ever possible I at least try to check one of the smaller feed stores first because I would rather give my money to the little guy then the corporate guy. Honestly if I can't get it in store though I go to amazon or one of ther livestock catalogs and order that way and have it shipped.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

My TSC isn't that bad but doesn't carry much. They won't order anything for you either. I've always gotten my Replamin Plus from PBS Animal Health. I did find a nice TSC that carries a lot of choices for all livestock about 50 minutes away. So when I'm out of mineral, I will travel to that one.

Moers kiko boars and CBPitts like this.
  4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    My TSC carries a few goat stuff, and actually ordered me copper boluses and keeps them in stock for the other goats people in my town!
    My town is HUGE on cattle, so we have a lot of cattle and horse stuff, because we have at least 10 pro ropers in my town along with cutters and barrel racers.
    We also have A LOT of showers in my town. They show their cattle, and recently our county fair has been getting quite a bit more goats than recent years! So many people think the goats are easy money. We have a bunch of show stuff in our tractor supply. So with all of that, there isnt much room for goat stuff.... Our TSC runs out of stock quite often, but stay pretty organized.
    I dont go to TSC much, just for dog / cat food

I have an AWESOME little feed store about 7 mins away from me that will carry almost anything you ask them to! They have always carried replamin plus, I asked them to carry Sweetlix meat maker, because I saw they had a few sweetlix products. (We also have a sweetlix/cargill/nutrogena plant in my town, so our feed store has pretty easy access to all of these products) and they carry cargill onyx minerals!
    I agree with cccsaw though. I will give my money to a small buisness before i give to a big buisness like TSC

5. cristina-sorina

cristina-sorina Well-Known Member

May 4, 2018
    Northeast Ohio
    Sounds like my Rural King Ohio by my work. It's usually an awful mess, dirty, and I can never find what I'm looking for.

I go to 2 TSCs. The one near my work is more rural and they have a lot of stuff I need and they're clean and stocked. The one by my house is closer to the city and usually has very few goat and cattle stuff, but it's not messy or understocked. Prices are also cheaper at the rural TSC than the city one.

6. SandyNubians

SandyNubians Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Idaho
    My TSC is great. Amazing staff who know me when I come in. Always stocked on almost everything. They don't carry many things I would love to see them carry, but they have most of everything I need. Very well organized. I know where things will be when I go in. We are a very Farm, Livestock, and Pet town though. When I did go to one that was more In a city setting, they had fewer livestock/farm supplies and were much messier.

Some TSC stores are amazing, some are not so great. There are some small farm/livestock feed stores though. Most of them are amazing and have even better prices. Maybe try and look for one of those near you. Like with many others, I much prefer going to one of them vs TSC when I can.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    My local Tractor Supply is tidy but do a very poor job of stocking shelves. It's not that they don't have the product, if you ask for it, they will go get it out of the back, but it's just so annoying. Like many others, I buy my dog food there, and almost always cannot get the quantity I need off the shelves and have to wait for them to go unpackage in back. Same with alfalfa pellets, I need 8 bags, the shelf is empty, they have it in back.

Like someone else said, the Ship to Store can be a good option, but it takes them a long time to locate and process the pick up.

I also try to use the local stores more because I hate how you have to haul everything through the TSC and Runnings on a cart. Steering twelve 40-50 lbs bags out is tough! They sometimes give me grief when I ask to load up from the side warehouse door instead. All the local stores have employees that load out from their storage area when you pull up your car.

However, my TSC does have a great selection of items and medications that we tend to use for goats, although I do still utilize Jeffers & Valley Vet once or twice a year to restock some things.

8. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    We alternate between 3 different cities that all have TSC stores. They are all clean and well stocked but they have huge variations of what they carry. 2 stores carry one thing and the 3rd won't carry it. Just a real pain. We also do have 3 really well run small co op stores that we use.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    We have good tractor supplies in 3 different towns, near us, all are great.

They sure wouldn't want a bad BBB complaint. ;)

10. MellonFriend

Well it's good to know that not all Tractor supplies are bad. I do buy most of the stuff I use from local feed stores but none of them have what I need. It seems like we are just outside of a really agricultural area. The feed stores have all you could want for chickens, but goats not so much. There is a farmers CO-OP somewhat close to me, but I feel like they are rather incompetent there.

I guess I will just have to continue and match where I get my stuff from. I am very thankful for Jeffers. They have been super great. If only they didn't have freight charge...

11. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    We have a couple TSC and a Rural King, as well as locally owned Agway feed stores. All the prices are very similar, but the Agway store will order anything, I got that giant tube of replamin from them. But the don't carry Purina Grower, so I get that at TSC. I was in there the other day and noticed they had the Manna Pro Goat Electrolytes on sale, so I was happy on my way out the door!

12. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    They just put in TS about 45 minutes from me but it was mostly yard/pet/clothes/decor. Very little livestock stuff. We have local feed store that’s great and Wilco here is also good.

13. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    My tractor carries a good bit of fence stuff and feed but not the things I have to order, like replamin, vitamin e gel, ammonium chloride, sometimes VetRX or cobalt blocks. They did after my persistence order a skid of cobalt blocks. I bought 8 of them because i had ask for them. In a month and a half all of the skid sold out. I ask if they were ordering more and was told it was a slow mover so they doubted it. I just thought selling over a hundred blocks on a skid in a month and a half was pretty good. I did get to buy the last 4 on the skid before they sold.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Im fortunate, I have TCS, Atwoods, Feed stores, Southern Agriculture, and talk about expensive stuff!!! $$$$$$ Is all any of them want for livestock needs. I will often call variouse places to see the price versus online Jeffries, Valley Vet, and a few other places. Then lo & behold I walk into a small town local feed store Fortney Feed store. They will order anything you need & beat the chains prices. It is Soooooo nice to know someone will help and get things done.And its a local.place .

15. MellonFriend

Ugh, Lucky!:rolleyes:
    My really local feed stores are okay, but they really don't sell anything for goats other than feed. The Co-op store that is by no means close, but within reasonable distance is fine, but we don't really trust them anymore after they put back on the shelf an expired bee hive mite treatment, we pointed out to them... and crossed out the date!:eek:

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  16. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    The only biggest complaint with TC is the lack of women's work clothes. the women section is one small rack in the back and is all dressy with the only work shoes being lightweight rain boots. The men section is always stocked nicely with tons of options. Us women work too!

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When will all these farm supply stores realize how many people have goats? I remember it was near impossible to get horse stuff years ago. (way long time ago, 1970's). Now, everything is horse.