The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the best way to heat up milk. Preferable methods other than microwave, or heating with water on stove.

Bottle warmers? I'm only going to be feeding about 10-12 kids, but just 2 at a time.

If anyone has any experience with bottle warmers or another appliance to warm their milk I'd love some feedback.

·
Super Moderator
58,930 Posts
I used to use a baby bottle warmer. I also microwaved water and then heated up the bottles in the microwaved water.

·
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to use a baby bottle warmer. I also microwaved water and then heated up the bottles in the microwaved water.
What do you use now? Why did you change from a warmer? Was it not big enough?

·
8,193 Posts
My water heater is set at 150*F. Hot water! I put 6 bottles in 2-1/2 gal. bucket. By the time I'm ready to feed the little bottle monsters, the water is up to temp. You can fill the bucket with your hot water and full bottles, then dump they water out after it starts to cool and fill with hot water again. It should be the right temp.

I am very curious, how will you feed 2 at a time? Pull them out and feed? If you are feeding that many, why don't you get or make a "lamb bar". Or nipple bucket? You can feed 10 at a time. Caprine Supply sells reasonable ones.

·
Super Moderator
58,930 Posts
It was more convenient for me to use the microwave heated water. But heating water for a bucket would heat more bottles at a time. You will find only heating a couple at a time will be too time consuming. I never had more than one or two bottle babies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why should you not heat the milk formula or electrolytes in the microwave? My bottle baby ND has scours that we're trying to get cleared up. She's 2 weeks old. Her mom rejected her, so fed colostrum formula for 24 hours. She's still tiny (probably 2 lbs at most), but eats enthusiastically. Planning on getting SpectoGuard tomorrow, and whole milk to replace the substitute.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts