The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a alpine doe that was pregnant. Ended up delivering dead kid on Mother’s Day.

She was a first timer, and kid wasn’t able to pass because of presentation. We had to go in and pull the kid.

The doe is still producing milk. It’s been more than 2 months. (I have caught her nursing herself) could that be why she isn’t drying up? She also has a white creamy discharge from her vagina. It doesn’t smell horrible but it definitely looks bad. (I have a picture if that Is helpful).

temp last night was 102.2. She is eating drinking and acting normal.

she also has a weird lump that has formed on her side. I’m not sure if it is an abscess from being rammed by another goat, or maybe some type of hernia. It has gotten bigger over the last week.

I do have a vet coming out but not until tomorrow. Just wanted to see what everyone here thinks.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
59,968 Posts
Have you been slowly trying to dry her off? It isn't normal for dairy goats to be dried off right away so they need to be properly dried off. I'd definitely have the vet do a thorough exam. Check for uterine infection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been milking her some once or twice a day. Usually in the evenings to relieve some pressure. But was hoping that would help her not produce as much and dry off but

Definitely checking for uterine infection.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Someone here mentioned peppermint and we happen to have some and fed just two days to our ones we're drying off. It seems to help, definitely not producing near as much as they were just two days ago.

As far as that huge lump, so glad you have a vet coming! Goodness, have never seen anything like that. Poor girl. Please keep us updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts