The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Just a warning this is going to be a really long post. Some of you may remember me from years ago. I had a 4-H goat named Jasper who unfortunately had to be put down back in 2017, which was my last post on TGS. That sad day unfortunately was just the beginning to a number of many many many more bad happenings that followed over the next few years up to now. And unfortunately I fell into a depression which is the main reason I never came back. Life hasn't been treating me well, but this isn't a pity post nor do I want to make my first post in years a depressing one. I just wanted to explain my sudden absence. But I'm back and happy to see that so many old friends are still here. And I'm starting something new as well, I'm sure you already guessed it from the forum I posted this in. But yes after pondering this idea for a very long time I've decided to make an old dream come true. I'm getting my first horse. Before you panic, know that I am not new to horses. I've worked with them on and off throughout my life and, though I would say I'm still a novice rider, I know the ins and outs of horse care and health. Little me made horses my life, and I mean my entire life. I was obsessed with these four legged animals. And I stayed that way till my late teens when I got my first bf. Then you know how it goes, love takes over, past dreams are no longer important. Etc. Love became my main focus.

I'm almost 22 now and recently got out of an abusive relationship, still broken hearted as ever especially since we were due to be married mid next year, but deep down I know this was for the best. My true dream at this point in life is to find my real future husband and I'm sure that's a pretty common one. But of course I can't base my whole life on that, it's not something you can 'work at', I know its just something you have to wait for. So with that I've decided not to just lay around waiting for Mr.Right to come along like I have in the past. I'm opening an old dream and making something of myself and honestly I'm excited. This is the first thing that's not love related that I've been happy about in so so long. I've debated getting a horse at different points throughout my life but always talked myself out of it due to a low paying job, no time for one, and so on. I wanted to wait so I could give him/her a great life. I even talked about it with my last bf but stopped to focus on the relationship when things started getting bad.

But now I just started a job that pays really nice, have an apartment with a friend, and I work mornings so plenty of open time. For the next 2 or 3 months I will just be saving back money since I'll have to do a deposit along with first board, a vet check, pay for transportation, and of course purchase the animal itself all in a span of a week or so. It'll be a big chunk of cash lol. So I'll be saving and stalking the horse classifieds listings. I've done all the math; vet bills, farrier, board, feed, everything and it's all well within budget. I have most of the supplies already, thank you little me for spending your allowance on horse supplies knowing one day I'd use them

I found an amazing boarding barn and had a tour of it. It's a barn I know quite well in fact, it was on the same road I grew up on and I've been to it lots of times for my cousin's shows. It has monthly shows, friendly owners, beautiful barn and pastures, and majors in western riding. So I guess I should wrap this long post up, but I know I will need lots of advice in the year to come and I hope I can find that here like I found advice for Jasper. Again I'm no beginner to horse care and health but there's still a lot to learn in terms of shows, riding, tack, and other aspects. I didn't grow up with a horse family, they don't know really anything about equines, so I'm on my own and I hope you guys will be patient with me and my dumb questions all over again. Here's to a new beginning from a bad ending. I've missed you guys!

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hey..sounds like a good start..educating yourself and preparing for this new love. Better than any boyfriend...believe me! I bought my first hunter jumper off the race track. Alot of good horses their..they just arent as fast ,or into running. I had a trainer, and Blue & I learned English, Dressage, & Hunter Jumper..both green as gords. But we learned together, and we did very well. So...keep up the interest..and enjoy.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Glad your back! I’m curious about what breed of horse your planning to get, and gaited or nongaited? I love horses and I am currently looking at selling my old Tennessee Walker and getting a Missouri Fox Trotter. I love these websites for horse searching:
Equine now
Dream horse.com
Horse clicks
Good luck! I hope you find your perfect companion!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad your back! I'm curious about what breed of horse your planning to get, and gaited or nongaited? I love horses and I am currently looking at selling my old Tennessee Walker and getting a Missouri Fox Trotter. I love these websites for horse searching:
Equine now
Dream horse.com
Horse clicks
Good luck! I hope you find your perfect companion!!
Thank you for the sites I couldn't help pulling up a few of them already to see what's on the market lol. I'm not too picky on the breed, I'm thinking either quarter horse, appy, paint, maybe TB if I can find one that's not too spooky. Definitely going to push for nongaited as I've never ridden gaited and don't want to get in over my head. Have you ridden both gaited and non? If so how different are they? Also any opinions on registered vs non? I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash to get one that's registered in case I decide to show outside of the boarding stable's events but I don't know much about the associations themselves and if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I just wanted to wish you the best. Horses can be great therapy for life’s ills. Sounds like you’ve thought this through and are ready.
The only suggestion I can make is when you go to buy one take someone with you who really knows horses and what to look for. It’s easy to fall in love with one,later to find out it’s got a health issue or a shortcoming that will not make this experience a good one.
Best of luck to you and your future hoofed buddy!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you for the sites I couldn't help pulling up a few of them already to see what's on the market lol. I'm not too picky on the breed, I'm thinking either quarter horse, appy, paint, maybe TB if I can find one that's not too spooky. Definitely going to push for nongaited as I've never ridden gaited and don't want to get in over my head. Have you ridden both gaited and non? If so how different are they? Also any opinions on registered vs non? I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash to get one that's registered in case I decide to show outside of the boarding stable's events but I don't know much about the associations themselves and if it would be worth it.
Quarter horses are a wonderful first horse. There is just so many of them on the market that you have to watch out for quarter horse traders. It's a very frustrating thing when the horse you are trying out at their farm was bought at an auction the night before and then drugged to make it calm for riding. Happened to me. Pros of Quarter horses though is that they are mostly gentle and soft horses that get very attached to their owners. And they come in all sorts of colors!
Appaloosa horses are very spunky. They are beautiful but sometimes that doesn't do anything but make them look more spunky. They are prone to attitude problems and can be a tad bit hard to handle. BUT they are very sweet and very eager to please you. They will literally do anything to make you happy.
Paints are about just like quarter horses so there's not much to say about them. I've also never had one so I can't give my input on them.
If I were you I would stay away from ThoroughBreds until you are a little more sure about your horse handling skills. They are hot bloods and they nearly always have some severe attitudes (believe me, we have one). And sometimes they are abused more then others.
Yes I have ridden both gaited and non gaited. I prefer gaited horses myself. There's a few things that you got to look out for in gaited horses but overall I love them more then non gaited. Gaited horses do have some strange looking gaits which can make them look scary to first time riders. But my first horse was gaited and now that I have learned gaited horses I can ride any horse. They are so smooth and wonderful when riding!
I would skip the papers for now. Like a friend of mine always says "horses don't look at their papers". Which means that you might find a perfect papered horse and later find that he's green. Now, if you find a good horse that happens to be papered, then awesome! I would look at the horse first and then the papers.
This is a long post. I hope I helped you search! Also don't hesitate to pm me if you'd like.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I train and show mini horses now, but used to ride many different breeds of horses and just wanted to say that there are great horses in every breed. There are good, sane, TB horses out there, if you find one from a good line. If you find a horse that it is possible to research bloodlines, I highly recommend it. From experience I've found that traits like intelligence and mellowness are genetic, as is crazy, lol. Of course, how they have been handled has an effect, but sometimes no amount of training can get them over attitudes that are genetic. Whatever breed you love, you have an excellent chance at finding the perfect horse for you with time and searching. Perhaps someone from the barn could help you look and go with you to be an extra set of eyes to ride the horse, look it over, etc. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quarter horses are a wonderful first horse. There is just so many of them on the market that you have to watch out for quarter horse traders. It's a very frustrating thing when the horse you are trying out at their farm was bought at an auction the night before and then drugged to make it calm for riding. Happened to me. Pros of Quarter horses though is that they are mostly gentle and soft horses that get very attached to their owners. And they come in all sorts of colors!
Appaloosa horses are very spunky. They are beautiful but sometimes that doesn't do anything but make them look more spunky. They are prone to attitude problems and can be a tad bit hard to handle. BUT they are very sweet and very eager to please you. They will literally do anything to make you happy.
Paints are about just like quarter horses so there's not much to say about them. I've also never had one so I can't give my input on them.
If I were you I would stay away from ThoroughBreds until you are a little more sure about your horse handling skills. They are hot bloods and they nearly always have some severe attitudes (believe me, we have one). And sometimes they are abused more then others.
Yes I have ridden both gaited and non gaited. I prefer gaited horses myself. There's a few things that you got to look out for in gaited horses but overall I love them more then non gaited. Gaited horses do have some strange looking gaits which can make them look scary to first time riders. But my first horse was gaited and now that I have learned gaited horses I can ride any horse. They are so smooth and wonderful when riding!
I would skip the papers for now. Like a friend of mine always says "horses don't look at their papers". Which means that you might find a perfect papered horse and later find that he's green. Now, if you find a good horse that happens to be papered, then awesome! I would look at the horse first and then the papers.
This is a long post. I hope I helped you search! Also don't hesitate to pm me if you'd like.
Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate the time you took to explain each breed! I need all the info I can get. Thank you for the advice on registration as well, I didn't even care about the horse's papers until I stumbled across a conversation thread online about people arguing the importance of getting a registered horse and then I got a little scared. But it sounds like it isn't something that makes or breaks a good horse. If you don't mind me asking another question, what age range should I be looking for? Some people call a horse that just turned 20 a senior, others argue that it's still in it's prime. I see a lot of 16 and 17 year olds for sale so I don't know if that should be a red flag. I know a horse's retirement varies greatly due to health and breed but what should be the cut off age for oldest I should look for?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to wish you the best. Horses can be great therapy for life's ills. Sounds like you've thought this through and are ready.
The only suggestion I can make is when you go to buy one take someone with you who really knows horses and what to look for. It's easy to fall in love with one,later to find out it's got a health issue or a shortcoming that will not make this experience a good one.
Best of luck to you and your future hoofed buddy!
Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going be to be careful as I know these animals have more hidden health problems than a goat with seven stomachs Due to having to hire an equine transportation service (I'm terrified of pulling a trailer myself) I'll have to get a health certificate that's only valid for 30 days so I'll be calling a vet out for a check up before purchasing either way. So that should help ease any fears I have of getting a sickly horse. Also I'll be able to go ahead and get the required vaccines he'll need for the boarding barn if he doesn't have them already.

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Glad to hear things are getting better. Good luck with getting a horse. Concentrating on building your life and finding happiness on your own is the best way to eventually find someone who is also mentally and emotionally stable and healthy for a good relationship.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bless your heart.
You are a strong women, to go through all the stress and beat it. Good work. :hug:
Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words I'm excited to start this new chapter in life and now whatever life throws at me from now on I'll have a friend waiting at the barn. And a whole new hobby to focus on to make the hard days a bit better

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate the time you took to explain each breed! I need all the info I can get. Thank you for the advice on registration as well, I didn't even care about the horse's papers until I stumbled across a conversation thread online about people arguing the importance of getting a registered horse and then I got a little scared. But it sounds like it isn't something that makes or breaks a good horse. If you don't mind me asking another question, what age range should I be looking for? Some people call a horse that just turned 20 a senior, others argue that it's still in it's prime. I see a lot of 16 and 17 year olds for sale so I don't know if that should be a red flag. I know a horse's retirement varies greatly due to health and breed but what should be the cut off age for oldest I should look for?
Your very welcome! I've been in your situation and it can be stressful staring at all those ads that all promise the best horse.
As far as age goes I would get a younger horse around 8 to 14. There is nothing wrong with older horses but if you want a friend that will grow with you and be there for a long time your better off with a younger horse. I would consider a horse older at around 20. There are a lot of 16 and 17 yr old horses for sale because people either outgrow the horse or the horse starts slowing down and preparing to get older, so the rider wants something a little younger and more spirited.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Welcome back! Glad things are starting to look brighter for you, and kudos to you for getting out of an abusive relationship!

Horses are awesome. All my life I wanted a horse, from the time I was 2. I was finally able to afford one when I was 17, and I've had them since (I'm 65). Horses are what led me to goats. When I started breeding the horses, I got goats in case a foal was ever orphaned and it just took off from there!

Enjoy your horse shopping, it's exciting!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear things are getting better. Good luck with getting a horse. Concentrating on building your life and finding happiness on your own is the best way to eventually find someone who is also mentally and emotionally stable and healthy for a good relationship.
Thank you so much I was thinking the same thing. I feel this new change will not only brighten my life now and give me something outside of love to cherish. But also help me in my next relationship and life's journeys to come. An old friend always told me to never put all of your eggs in one basket, and honestly that's what I did in the past. I feel this new passion will help me find happiness in myself now, and in return teach me to have my own life outside of my next relationship. And that's what a healthy relationship is all about. But for now of course I'm going to put all of my focus on building myself back up and getting ready for my new hoofed partner

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your very welcome! I've been in your situation and it can be stressful staring at all those ads that all promise the best horse.
As far as age goes I would get a younger horse around 8 to 14. There is nothing wrong with older horses but if you want a friend that will grow with you and be there for a long time your better off with a younger horse. I would consider a horse older at around 20. There are a lot of 16 and 17 yr old horses for sale because people either outgrow the horse or the horse starts slowing down and preparing to get older, so the rider wants something a little younger and more spirited.
It definitely is a tad stressful I'm terrified of bringing a horse to his new home and then discovering he's got a mile long list of hidden health problems. But I'm trying to stay positive and remember this is supposed to be an exciting time, scary as it is lol.
Thank you for the information regarding age! I'm making a note of all this so it'll narrow down the search when time comes to start going to see the horses in person. Trust me when I say I'll have more questions to come, I want to make sure I don't miss anything important. Dummy me would probably buy a car with no engine so you can imagine how nervous I am to pick out a horse for the first time

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words I'm excited to start this new chapter in life and now whatever life throws at me from now on I'll have a friend waiting at the barn. And a whole new hobby to focus on to make the hard days a bit better
(grouphug)(highfive):dreams:

·
Registered
208 Posts
It definitely is a tad stressful I'm terrified of bringing a horse to his new home and then discovering he's got a mile long list of hidden health problems. But I'm trying to stay positive and remember this is supposed to be an exciting time, scary as it is lol.
Thank you for the information regarding age! I'm making a note of all this so it'll narrow down the search when time comes to start going to see the horses in person. Trust me when I say I'll have more questions to come, I want to make sure I don't miss anything important. Dummy me would probably buy a car with no engine so you can imagine how nervous I am to pick out a horse for the first time
Hi...I am so happy and excited for you!!!!! : )

Just a thought...
When you do find a horse (or a few) that you are interested in enough to consider buying...ask the owner for vet records/references and, depending on how thorough you feel like being, give their vet a call and ask about the horse. It also wouldn't hurt to have your Horse Vet do a pre-purchase exam. He/She might be able to spot some of the issues that might be a bit tough to spot such as lameness or signs of past issues/old injuries or stresses. If you are considering anything Quarter Horse or QH related (paints, some apps)...you might want to see if they have been 5-panel tested 'negative' for disease.

IF you want to check out some Thoroughbreds (for kicks)...CanterUSA.org. Some are 'hot-off-the-track' (or still racing) but, they do have some (occasionally) that have been trained for other disciplines such as trail riding, etc. You will have to be on high-alert for any injuries such as bowed tendons, etc. so, if going that route...a vet exam would definitely be in your best interest.

I wish you MUCH LUCK and hope you find your perfect horse!! : )

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey..sounds like a good start..educating yourself and preparing for this new love. Better than any boyfriend...believe me! I bought my first hunter jumper off the race track. Alot of good horses their..they just arent as fast ,or into running. I had a trainer, and Blue & I learned English, Dressage, & Hunter Jumper..both green as gords. But we learned together, and we did very well. So...keep up the interest..and enjoy.
Oh goodness. My first horse was a middle-aged ex racehorse who'd left the track and become a dressage/jumper. His name was also Blue. I wonder...

My horse's registered name was Little Bold Blue. Any chance we owned the same horse?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts