The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I've seen people on here talking about their guys smelling 'bucky', just wondered if this is going to be permanent, is it seasonal, will bathing help get rid of it for a while??? My buck is STANKY, I'm not even kidding, it's bad!! He's always been very sweet, he wants my attention 100% of the time, follows me around rubbing his head all over my legs & ahem...my bootie if he can I have to come in, strip down, wash my clothes & shower IMMEDIATELY, I'm afraid it'll stink up my house if I don't! Are there any tricks of the trade???

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
To a point there is always going to be a smell to them. Just right now with breeding season it’s super bad......as you can tell lol you could wash them and it might help to a point but he is just going to pee on himself every day and there are scent glands behind the horns so it’s just going to come back. I also don’t know how but the smell gets on EVERYTHING! My buck pen is panels with hot fence on the inside. There is no touching those panels but if I touch them and smell my hands it smells like them.
I also have a super sweet loving boy. What I normally do is like you and love on him then jump in the shower. If your worried about the smell in the house toss those clothes in the laundry as well. I’m a bit immune to the smell lol and I usually don’t have people over and I sure hope that helps not having my house smell like a buck!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might give him a bath if we get another hot day, it’s been pretty cool here, so I’ll have to see if that happens. I just cannot believe how bad it is, good grief! When I come in at night my husband always says I’ve been cheating on him, his nose tells him so we have people over a lot, I may be a tad OCD when it comes to the house, I’ve just had to let the garage go a little bit to keep my sanity! For a good week or 2 I was mopping it with bleach & hot water every night! That was too much to keep up with!

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Mostly the smell is the urine on the back of his front legs, beard, and face. So if you only wash those areas that will help. But it won't make a huge difference (in my opinion). Just the time of year.

A (clean) toilet bowl scrubber hanging on the fence that you can reach over and scratch him with might make him very happy. lol

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You gotta love those boys! :)

My 5 month old Nubian buckling is in full rut right now. He’s waaaay stinkier than my very smelly 1-3 year old bucks from last year were! I’ve never had one this young take such an interest in does, either.
I also have his cousin (same age) and he barely smells at all, so I just mostly love on him, LOL (he’s a little more cuddly anyway).

One thing that helps a little with the smell is giving him a good clipping, it’s really helped with my boy. But before you clip him, give him a bath and then let him dry out completely.

Reactions: WhiteFeatherFarms

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I don't understand, either I'm just use to it or my guy don't stink much
Lol your used to It lol. My dad is super sensitive to the smell and we will be walking along and he will turn green and say OMG your bucks stink today! I sniff the air and said I don't smell anything lol that's when I know I have a issue and I stock up on body spray just in case lol

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I have a medium to low smelling buck thankfully. You can't tell I have a buck by just walking around. He has to get right up on you, and then only during certain times of the year does he even have an odor. Parts of the year when all my does are pregnant he doesn't have an odor at all. I rented a buck once (his grandfather) that I could smell him out in the back orchard from my kitchen window. It was awful.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have 3 mature bucks and 1 weanling. The weanling (Nigerian) has no smell. The 3 mature ones sure do. I really don't smell it much, after 35 years having them, but on the really humid days, when the smell is stronger, I can smell them. Mine have excellent marksmanship with their urine. No matter where I stand, they can aim and hit me, if I am not paying attention. Believe me, I pay attention to where those things are aiming.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really hope it gets better & he doesn’t smell this bad all the time! Whew! Interesting how some are worse than others, this guy is very interested in doing the deed, I’ll be happy when I get my new pastures done for them!

·
Registered
203 Posts
@WhiteFeatherFarms try using the "Funk Rock" detergent by Rockin' Green (I bought on Amazon) for your clothes.
I used just a little in a sink of water and just swished my son's hog brush in it, and it took away the hog poop smell almost immediately!
If you've ever smelled hog poop, you know how rank it is. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts