The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats were outside the yard and my neighbors son (who's mentally not right) took them home, put them in their pen played with them a few hours... Then brought them home. Problem is, their goats have CL. I went back (they apparently have had my missing peahen 6 weeks) and I saw 2 with knots.. They have 30ish goats on a very small yard. They roam free for a few hours a day, but it's still not big enough for 6 goats. Anyway, I'm going to put them on lock-down for 60 days then pull blood... I called a friend (hysterical) but I don't know what to do! My Nubians were not cheap and I know nobody who would have adga dairy goats with CL would love them like I do.... Not having children, they are my kids

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
I'll be praying! I'm so very sorry ... I would keep everyone up major time on the copper, that is supposed to help it not to spread. For now I would watch, and separate anyone who starts coughing or showing signs ... :hug: :hug:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the support and prayers! I don't know what I'll do if I have to part with my babies! I guess they have too much to eat and get bored. They're on 40 acres of browse all the hay they could want. I'll copper again, i did about 6 months ago.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
This may be a really stupid question, but can washing a goat who was just exposed help? Like if the minute they got home you washed them would it make any difference?

·
1,147 Posts
This may be a really stupid question, but can washing a goat who was just exposed help? Like if the minute they got home you washed them would it make any difference?
That is what I was wondering too! With Antibacterial soap? Iodine? Anything to kill off any pathogens!?
That is terrifying!
I am So sorry! My heart goes out to you!
I think I would flip out if that happened to me.!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Please Please Please remember that the CL test looks at if the goats have been exposed to the pathogen not if they have CL directly!!

Quarantine them, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Were any of your neighbor's abcesses actively oozing? There is a chance that they will not get it directly. The abcess needs to be open and they need to encounter pus (or dirt, but I don't think your goats were hungry enough to need to eat at the dirt, they sound well cared for)

Just something to think of.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I agree with Cadence...its the puss that is infectious...wash them down..scrub their hooves with peroxide or bleach solution...do what you can to lessen the exposer..but a Positive CL blood test will say they have antibodies...which a goat will create if exposed..not necessarly infected...keep a close watch on them, monthly rub downs to feel for lumps...once they are cleaned up there is no reason IMO to keep them seperate...
Im sorry this happened, I know its scary...might need to lock your gate...talk to your nieghbors...no one should take your animals off your property..ever....Best wishes

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
My goats were outside the yard and my neighbors son (who's mentally not right) took them home, put them in their pen played with them a few hours... Then brought them home. Problem is, their goats have CL.
I'm apparently missing something here. You knew the son isn't capable of understanding that he shouldn't take your goats home with him, you knew their goats have CL, yet you left your goats in a position that allowed their son to catch them and take them home with him?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm apparently missing something here. You knew the son isn't capable of understanding that he shouldn't take your goats home with him, you knew their goats have CL, yet you left your goats in a position that allowed their son to catch them and take them home with him?
We live on 40 acres their property is 1/4 mile from our drive separated by 20 acres of church and grave yard. I had never met the man or even knew of their son, until this encounter. We stopped by when we moved in but the family was not home. The boy is probably 15

1 - 20 of 24 Posts