It makes me sad that people think of goats like this.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Our friends have four registered alpines. One buck, 2 adult does, 1 dry yearling, and more on the way. And although they take excellent care of them, they don't seem to have any emotional bond with them WHATSOEVER. They have a small farm, and all of their animals have a purpose. Except a few like the dogs, their animals get like NO affection, or time spent with them other than chores. Their dogs are sort of pets, but mostly for sheep herding and breeding, goats are for milk, and bucklings sold for meat, sheep are for wool, and lambs are for meat, rabbits are sort of pets, but mostly breeding and show [they are super nice dwarves] and they just got rid of their meat breeders [I mean killed], chickens are for eggs and meat, and one cat is for harrasing and a mouser. The girl who is my age there, is my friend, but she doesn't like her goats at all! She has 4 beautiful alpines, but she doesn't like them! She calls them dumb and the sheep dumb too. She hardly even knew their names, and didn't know what doe had what kids, how many they had, and whether they were bucks or does! And she didn't know the lamb in the pasture was a ram, and he was like 6 months old! Like most of you, I can tell someone everything there is to know about my 8 goats, even exact birthdates, and even the exact time of day that our twins were born last year. She is not 5, she is almost in 9th grade, [but homeschooled]. She just likes her dumb hermit crabs. I don't understand how someone who has 24 hour access to goats could care less about them. She doesn't help with any chores of them either. She wasn't there when the kids were born. We went to her house 2 weeks ago, and she had the cutest ewe lamb ever. She was in the house because she was too week to stay outside. Well I saw my friend just a moment ago, and she said the lamb died. I said that was so sad, and she said ''You think that is sad''. Then laughed. :veryangry: I just had to vent. I understand that this family lives off the land, but why would someone not even like their beautiful animals? I know she could enjoy her goats if she tried. Who wouldn't?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Some people? We had an Amish fellow put in our fences. It was pretty cool...he used Belgium horses pulling a machine that pounded the posts into the ground. (this was last year). Of course it was the hottest week of the year-101*, they had all the water they needed, but they didn't offer any to the horses. When I asked if I could water the horses they said OK, but it was like "well if you must." So, during their break for lunch I carried water to the horses. They each drank a 5 gallon bucket (I made sure it was not too cold, and I made them drink a little and then wait for the rest). They were laughing to each other and I think they were amused that I was worried about the horses. They were well mannered horses, and looked well fed, but, I would have worried about them in that heat.

Who knows what makes some people the way they are. But, as long as they are fed and not physically neglected...it's sad though.

3. halvey

halvey New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    I think some people don't "like" animals because it's work. My guess is if they were brought up on a farm and all it was was about doing chores and working all the time and no enjoyment, well, yeah, their attitude will be that way. My parents for example thought of being on the farm as hard work. They would get no enjoyment out of raising animals. But really, they aren't raising pets. They have livestock.

The flip side of this is I think people think of their animals as more than animals. They aren't. They still are animals and serve a purpose. Sometimes people care more about their dog or their cat than their fellow humans.

In both cases, the balance is off.

I was always taught to respect animals, but they serve a purpose. My friend who grew up and worked on dairy farms until recently told me how you had to treat the cows with respect otherwise you'd get less milk. He had barn records to prove the cows would milk better when they were taken care of by the milkers they "liked". But guess what? When they stopped milking, they were sent off to the processing plant. I was told once when butchering, you SHOULD feel an adrenelaine rush and you should feel some sort of "sorrow", but animals were made for a purpose.

It's too bad about your friend. Perhaps you can get the balance back for her.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some people don't like goats - that isn't something to be mad about. I know my sister could care less. She knows NOTHING about the goats and they were a couple months old before she even took the time to see them. Thats just her. I don't hold it against her.

She has things that are important to her that I think are silly but I don't make a fuss about it.

Try to not look down on people if they don't see the value in an animal or something just because you do.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep, like everyone else said. Some people do it just for the meat and I really believe they have to convince themselves NOT to like the animals because they are just going to be eaten.

I do not care what kind of animal it is, I am just a animals lover.

But like you said those DUMB hermit crabs. You think they are dumb (so do I), but she likes them. That is how we keep the world going around. Different strokes for different folks.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    In my opinion, as long as the animals are well cared for it doesn't matter if their owner likes them or not. :wink:

7. bluecollar

bluecollar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    I love animals, well most animals, I am not too fond of snakes, alligators, or pit bulls. HOWEVER, I am not a vegetarian, and that meat has to come from somewhere. No, I could not eat one of my pet goats, but that burger I had for dinner might have once been someone's pet calf.

I don't think I am cruel and heartless, I just try to deal with reality.

God created a perfect world in the beginning, there was no sickness or death and animals were not a food source. But man fell from grace in the garden of eden and God's plan changed.
    Acts 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

yup, i agree, though i love my does and bucks that i keep, i do minimal for the whethers i know are going to auction. I take care of them but by a few days old they are going to auction yard. I cant afford to feed mouths that arn't making money, though im definatly not in it for the money. I love these animals, but whethers are only good for two things to me, meat is one of them and packing is the other. If i have a deposit on a whether i do give him more attention. I keep him till weaning and start trainging with him, but he is housed seperate because they usually have horns. and though he gets praise he doesnt get the attention my does get.
    I once heard someone say farming is a cruel buiness. I like was stated before you said the animals were well taken care of. They are probably perfectly happy without the human contact, they have never really known it.
    beth

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Like everybody else said, at least the animals are being taken care of, I know of a couple situations where the owners think the same way but the animals are neglected.

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The first time I had an emergency and had to run a kid to the vet...the first thing I said when she got there was, I know this goat should be considered "livestock", but I want you to think "pet". Some of my goats are livestock. But, the NDG's are definately pets. But, on the other hand...I wouldn't "break the bank" at the vet either. I had a friend with a badly bred Rottweiler...had to have surgery on his hip displasia...and he was young...$3500.00 later new hips, he still needed work on his front legs...another $2500.00. I'm sorry but please, this woman had little kids that needed braces (that they didn't get btw), but nothing was out of question for this dog! And, he still was a badly bred dog with a weird disposition, he snapped at said kids in my presence.

I love my animals, sometimes I talk about them and too them as if they are human...but, in the end they are animals, in a pinch the human comes first.

11. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    In my experience. I think it depends on the reason why they have the animals. Those who keep animals for the sole purpose of companionship, enjoyment and pets seem to be much more wrapped in in the tiny details of them. Those who raise animals for consumption or say work purpose tend to be a little more aloof concerning the details. As long as they are well cared for I don't think the purpose matters. What really bothers me are people who have animals and don't take care of them at all.