The Goat Spot Forum banner

It was a cow day. Oye!

935 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
I decided today that i very much prefer our goaties to cattle lol! Or let me clarify... our TAME and LOVABLE goaties to crazy arsed pissy full sized cows and some calves. o_O:eek::cooldude:. Our friend has 40 head.... today we wormed, heat patched, fly tagged and renumber tagged his animals. Oye it was SUCH a loooong day. Three of his cows were so horrid in the gate even squeezed down tight tight they got the nose tongs and it STILL took three grown men to work with them. One of the ladies we thought was gonna just take it along with her she was so stinkin bad. We all THOUGHT to be done right after lunch (and i was lookin forward to plantin some in my garden before the rain comes tomorrow) but oh no it was bout four and we started at eight thirty. :confused:. Doin the movin into the small corral is always pretty simple with this herd no matter what pasture they are in.... and most of the time the ladies are mostly well behaved but not today buddy. Cows runnin amok and batty as all hellzzzzz bells. There was one calf that got out of the chute and nothin we could do today was gettin that lil dude back in the corral so he gets to wait three more weeks til doc comes and palpates to get his torment done lol. :cow:

Paul and i will be gettin a few cows in the next year or so but we want dexters. And they will def be worked with a LOT and halter trained. So that this crazy nonsense wont happen so very much. I get havin off days but the three bad ones are always nasty in the chute... but on the flip side they are all three excellent mamas that grow absolutely beautiful calves... so whadda you do yanno. The worst one of the bunch our friend said if she aint bred when the doc comes she is out the door cause this is enough of her crazy. Anyhoo. I just wanted vent jus a tinny bit and say that man i love and so appreciate my goaties so much today! Even my poor Gracie goat who is new to a milkstamd as of last week and each day we work a lil longer and are a bit more patient with my minstrations of her even though she very much does not want to let me have the preciouses of her milks.... cause i might take it allllll and this cutie pie lil bucklin might not have any any foods left hahahaha. :ponder:

See less See more
#2 ·
I know what you mean, I do not like dealing with cattle either, been there done that.

Sold the cattle, went to goats, they are much easier.

Cows gestation is so long and turnout for any profit to help with cost is just not there. Waiting for a calf, then having to wait forever for weaning time.
If a cow has calving issues, it is much harder for us to help them. A vet is most likely always called.

With goat gestation, it is shorter and turnaround is so much better. We can help most kidding issues without having to call a vet.

Some cows want to kill you if you get near their calves, Registered Black Angus that is. ;)
AI is a must, so you do not have to deal with a mean bull. ;)

You have to get a professional trimmer to trim cattle once in a while.

Getting them into a head shoot can be tough and still, they are difficult to deal with in there. Head thrashing, yelling and kicking goes on. God forbid, when they fall and get stuck in the shoot area, not good, had that happen. Had to call for backup help. Got her out, she was OK.

Even the tame cows can be a pill when it comes to doctoring. ;)

#3 ·
Haha our friend does AI but right now he has a cleanup bull in there. I have been chased by many a mean jackasses on our farm growin up so i am very leery of the menz. We had angus and hertfords and friend has angus. This dude is gorgeous! He is a simmental. And he is quite gentle... even though when he was on my side of the chute i made him go away lol! Hubby calls him ElCamino hahahha.

#5 ·
Oh my gosh. I always wanted cows, maybe now not so much? lol I was called out to a friends farm to look at her bull, he was sweet as pie though. He had a cut on his back and I medicated it for her. Super sweet. I didn't really realize they were mean. Her girl cows were all sweet too. Dairy cows if that makes a difference. lol But HUGE. I'm used to seeing my medium sized goats and these cows were like large cars. I had always seen cows from a distance and was very very surprised at how LARGE they were. I can't imagine handling a cow that doesn't want to be handled. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.