The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

One of my 3 wethers, Tango, always seems to be itchy all over. During his first vet check about a month ago, the vet looked all over and said he didn't see signs of mites, and he isn't chewing or stamping his feet. His coat seems a little dull and sticky compared to my other 2 and he is constantly shedding, while his brothers have smooth, shiny summer coats.

Do some goats have chronic allergies? Is there something I can do for him to make him more comfortable? I give all of my goats a capsule of Flaxseed oil- Tango has been pickier than usual and occasionally spits the capsule out.

Thanks! Photos of the little stinker as a photo tax!

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
Tango sure is cute!

I’m assuming you already offer free choice loose minerals and that is about the end of my knowledge on this.

Hopefully this will bump your post and help the more knowledgeable see this and help you figure out the possible causes.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
You can't see mites with your eyes..only the damage they do like raw angry crusty skin..however you can see lice. Small grey ish bug that drive them nuts. If no lice, then brushing his a few times a day to remove loose hair may help.
Is there any other things going in such as balding on nose or top of head? Dry scaly skin? Dandruff?

·
Registered
286 Posts
My vet was out yesterday and I expressed concerns with the nibbling. I use the pour on Durevet or Ultra Boss, I know some use the injections. She checked for lice (none seen), said coats were good, and didn't see any issues. They've been staying inside the barn more with the bad flies, so I've been using the premetherin powder to kill anything that may be in there. I also get the fly predators from Spalding Labs each year, which helps keep the flies down. My one girl seemed to be hopping and skipping a bit more from the flies and kicking her leg up - saw she had another raw patch on her belly that I used NuStock on.
So I'd think about a pour-on for them or maybe some powder in his sleeping areas. If you've done all that or have no issues, I'm sure goats get allergies and others have ran into this - I'm hoping it's not that, I'd think that'd be a pain for all involved - good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! There are no angry, crusty areas on any of the goats. Tango has a callous on his knee, but that is it. (He likes to lay on his knees, like most goats, I assume).

I'll keep an eye on it! I have ivermectin pour on if it doesn't improve. I would prefer not to use permethrin products due to their toxicity to cats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts