The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We have a new (our first) bottle baby Nigerian Dwarf born on 2/11/14. We got her last night. I have noticed she is very itchy.
  • What are the signs of lice or fleas?
  • How do I treat lice or fleas on such a young goat?
  • If there is no sign of either what supplements would you recommend, if any?

I did a search, but, am heading out of the house. I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else.

I included her picture with our 7 year old. So cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
You can see the lice on them, esp since she is white. They are little black or brown bugs and will be moving near the skin. I posted a pic on a thread for myself last week. I will attach the link here.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think our whole herd has lice... Ugh!!! Sent hubby to the feed store and he got a dust that they recommend for goats.. Says it for chicken, pigs, horse, and cattle.. It tells how much to apply on each different animal.. But nothing about goats?? Is there a certain amount to use or do you just give them all a good dusting??
She is a cuties by the way.. My bottle baby was born 2-10 so they are the same age..

TheRockinFunFarm

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh and is it true that ppl can't get the same lice as the goats.. Because I have been itching ever since I seen them on my bb.. Yikes!!!! Please tell me it is just in my head and I don't have goat lice.... Kinda freaking about it!!!

TheRockinFunFarm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I will check her out and send the link to my husband so he can inspect her in the morning. Poor little baby girl.

If she has lice/fleas....

Will I need to treat my whole herd?

She is from another farm. We have had her for 24 hours. She is in the barn but separated from the "big" girls. Proactive?

I will update on Saturday when I get back in town.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts