Itchy Goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ArcticGoats, Sep 25, 2008.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi All -

My goats are scratching and itchy. Thought all summer it was the flies (we had the worst biting black flies this summer, and it was cool and rainy). Anyway, now the flies are gone (its about to snow) and goats still itchy. I've looked for lice and know what to look for; read up on lice and mites etc etc. but don't really have any other clinical signs. Now the boys are rubbing their heads on some 2x4's and are breaking down the hair between their horns. These are cashmere goats so I don't want to muck up their fiber - but also don't want them to rub it off either - should I inject ivermectin and see if it helps?

Thanks! :sun:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Might very well be a case of dry skin, with the weather changes, the kin can be come dry and itchy.

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Could be they just like scratching their heads? :shrug:

I don't want to over react but also want to do whatevers right...

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    A lot of our goats rub their heads on things, they don't have lice. . . . I especially notice bucks doing that but does as well.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe that sweetgoats says that the sevin dust is ok for casmere but double check with her on that.

I would dust them --- I had a lice problem and didnt even know it till a black goat got nits (hence white eggs on a black goat = noticiable)

6. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yes - I read one of sweetgoats posts re: sevin. I'm thinking ivermectin inject as its about time to think about worming and that would do both (i think???).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Here's an interesting website I found when I was looking for info:

http://www.goatbiology.com/index.html

It has some very informative articles about lice and their lifecycles, as well as a really good article on selenium and another on doing your own fecal test and lots of other stuff I haven't looked at - maybe you guys have already found this site but I thought it was good.

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    What about D.E. ?? If you dust them with that ... that shouldn't mess up their fiber should it ? I don't know since I don't have goats for fiber, but D.E. is natural (if you get the edible kind anyway).

8. LatigoLiz

LatigoLiz Boise Creek Boers

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Is it OK to feed any corn or vegetable oils to goats? That can help horses that have itchy skin issues. I am thinking that it might help my new girls, too. They don't seem to have any visible parasites, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any there either. I am tempted to add a teaspoon or so to this hay pellet mash to see if it helps with the itchiness and also to help them get weight on a little bit quicker. The weather has been nice here (warmer than normal) but a change is coming.

9. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I'm a newbie too.. but I believe you can feed black oil sunflower seeds to goats to help coat/skin.

Corn is ok..

Thing to remember is VERY small amounts at a time. Think of it like goat candy :)

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never tried to add any oils to their feed. But I do use the BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) and the goats LOVE it. The BOSS is great for their skin and coat. I would try that first before any oils as it would be less mess.

11. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    sevin? Is this the same as Sevin 5 for gardens?

12. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Sevin dust is the same thing you use on your garden. Just be careful with it, because it is chemical based, and you shouldn't get it in your (or your goats/animals) eyes or mouth, etc. And it's best to wear gloves when handling it.

I use D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth) (the edible kind) .. it's the natural form of Sevin dust basically. A natural powder used for killing parasites. It's also used in animals feed to keep the feed parasite free. That's the EDIBLE kind. There are two kinds - edible and not edible.

I need to do my goats to, I noticed some of them are itchy.

13. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Ivermectin pour on.
    And use it as a pour on. Thats what we do for the angoras which are horribly lice prone.
    It doesn't effect the fiber. Part the hair down the back.
    No lice here and no probs with the pour on. :)

Oh and its not so chemically nasty as sevin nor will it contaminate everything because of its dust!
    I hate seven. I dont want myself and my children touching the stuff.