The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My small herd of boer goat does have recently been biting and itching their backs. They are getting matter fur clumps and are constantly itchy! We found a little bug on them with a red head and we think it is either mites or lice. Does anyone know how to treat goats with lice or mites?

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I would get injectible Ivomec and give them a shot SQ. Do 1cc per 40 lbs.

I would also get Python dust or Sevin dust and dust them.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,085 Posts
Yep, you got lice. I did not treat with Ivermectin, I treat with a horse spray called Equisect. I spray onto a brush, and scrub down to the skin. Repeat once a week until 2 weeks after no lice are present. It worked for us very well. Ivermectin doesn't treat both kinds of lice.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I would use the Seven dust and make sure you dust their bedding as well

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,085 Posts
Yes, it does.
I thought it was only effective against one kind -- I'll have to look that up again. :confused: :eek:

Lots of options here, I personally chose Equisect as it is naturally based and I felt a little gentler on the does (first time I got lice the does were pregnant). After it worked, it is now my preferred treatment. You'll want to change their bedding twice weekly and consider putting something like DE down on the bedding to make it inhospitable to lice.

Best of luck! :)

·
14,760 Posts
If weather is good enough for it, we hose each goat down, fill up a bucket with water & Permectrin II solution, and pour it over them, working it into their coat until they are saturated. That stuff works great. BUT, like most things <other than dust> it's not long lasting, so you do have to repeat treatment at least 2-3 more times. You need to dust their barn/bedding/etc.
We use the Permectrin based powder that they use in chicken pens. We also tend to dust our goats with that too opposed to the other kinds of powders - never had an issue, plus it seems to generally be cheaper too/get more in the bottle.

Once we think problem is under control, we use Cylence. We used it last winter with good success, and are trying it again. You put it down the back on the skin. They say 1cc per 25lbs. but the last few times we did that, it didn't seem to do much good, so we give them a little more.
If you try Cylence it CAN be very itchy the first day, but after that it shouldn't bother them.

·
2,203 Posts
Sevin did the trick for us

1 - 11 of 11 Posts