The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this week I posted pics of my ND buck that is on loan to a friend as a friend to her wether well turns out to be a hernia which we suspected has anyone delt with hernia and surgery how do goats take the surgery

image-1225397554.jpg

This is the little guy

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well as a human it sucks!!!! It hurts so bad :( a friend of mine had one fixed on her colt and she cryed around about it for a few days. Now off to my warning lol when you take your poor dude to the vet let the vet know that goats don't go under well and to start him off on a very small dose to start with. Even if your thinking you have a good goat vet still stress this to him/her :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vet that looked at him last night night was just regular animal vet I am hoping to get him to my goat vet this week he is very good with goats he also has 60 his own well his wife's and kids so I know he deals with them daily I am hoping it isn't a extremely expensive they vet last night said around $900 my vet has always been very reasonable so I am hoping for half of that :/

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
The vet I used treated many many goats but still killed my doe
just because he treated them..doesnt make him goat savvy...They try but only have a general knowledge of goats ins and outs...quite sad...I have also met folks who have raised goats for many years and know nothing about them. and Vets who know nothing about goats but are not afraid to say so and work through an issue along side you...to me they are the best next to a true Goat savvy vet ;)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Pet vet prices are going to usually run you 3 to 4 times times the price a livestock vet will charge. And thats including medications. If you can buy a medication that a pet vet wants to give, then decline it and go buy it.

Example: My vet (livestock vet) charges about $50 to castrate 5 month old bucks (pack prospects) with a burdizzo. A pet vet, $250.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts