It's all gone so wrong

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Fhazoo, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. Fhazoo

    Fhazoo Guest

    Sep 7, 2009
    Since asking whether or not goats can eat stones the goat has died- he was a beautiful old thing but he belonged to my neighbours and now I don't know what to say! It could be a horrible coincidence- he stopped bleating on the Sunday and was found on Monday morning- but the neighbours have decided it's because of my daughter and so the whole village knows too. They didn't autopsy and now it's too late. So my terrible question is-
    In what manner would ingested gravel kill a goat- what would happen?
    My daughter swears the goat didn't eat stones but she is so upset that he died. we really need to know if this could have happened.
  2. liz

    liz Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am sorry he has passed.
    It is very rare for a goat to eat something they cannot chew, IF he did swallow enough stones, they would block the intestine and he could not eliminate and would go off feed, possibly even bloat.
    I am sorry that you have been brought into this situation and without a necropsy, the truth won't be available to the reason he passed. :hug:

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    you said the goat was old? Then no the goat wouldnt eat stones period. I have raised goats for 13 years and never have they eaten anything they cant chew and especialy they don't eat anything off the ground.

    Did they often feed him treats by hand? but even then mine would spit out anything foreign- it really doesnt add up

    I am sorry they are blaming your family thats not right :sigh:

    How long did they have the goat? did they worm and properly care for the goat?
  4. cdtrum

    cdtrum New Member

    Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so sorry this has to add to what Stacey said, My oldest boys are only a year old and would never eat rocks/pebbles out of my hand even if I myself offered them....I sometimes try and sneak vit/meds into a hand full of treats and they will pick around them and leave the vitamins......I have found that goats are very, very picky.....and if a treat falls to the ground and I pick it up and try giving it to them they refuse it! Unless those rocks were rolled in something very tasty that they love, I just can't imagine a goat eating them. :hug:
  5. nancy d

    nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I agree with everyone, goats dont eat rocks & if one happened to get in his mouth he would spit it out!!
    And as for stuff on the ground, if I am giving corn wrappings for a treat, if one falls to the ground for a second & I pick it up & offer it they wont touch it. Even if the ground is clean.
  6. Epona142

    Epona142 The farm that Hope began

    May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I agree, most of my goats will look at me like I'm stupid if I try to give them something that even touched the ground, let alone rocks.

    What a sad occurrence. :(
  7. dvfreelancer

    dvfreelancer New Member

    Aug 15, 2009
    If you actually saw a goat eating rocks, there was something really, really wrong. Goats have very dexterous lips and tongues. Mine can strip the leaves off blackberry bushes while avoiding the stickers. Like tweezers. Amazing to go to places you couldn't even see through a couple years ago and there's nothing there but dead sticker stalks.

    My friends in animal control have rescued starving goats. They would eat tree bark, chew on paper and fence posts, but never rocks.

    Funny they did an autopsy without inviting you. I'd want to see the stomach contents and the intestines. And I'd video tape the whole process. If a goat really was eating stones, I'd want some cross-sections of the brain to see if it had something that might have been making it act mental. But it doesn't sound like you'll be able to recover any tissues or blood samples now. Sounds like you're getting railroaded.

    Anything in the pasture it could have gotten into? Poison for rodents or ground squirrels? Antifreeze?
  8. nancy d

    nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I agree with dvfreelancer, it sounds like you're getting railroaded. Without any proof from a necropsy they havent a shred of evidence on anything!!
    Its not your job to know why this goat died, its to protect your daughter and know that he did not die from eating rocks.
  9. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have NEVER heard of a goat eating rocks, though I guess it could be possible. There are numerous things that could have happened and without an autopsy there really is not way to be certain. But the goat can't chew rocks up so it probably wouldn't swallow it and your daughter did say she didn't think it swallowed them. Unfortunately your neighbors are looking for someone or something to blame and that just happens to be your daughter. I don't want to be harsh, but they need to get over it. If the goat really meant something to them they would have got it into the vet asap.
  10. toth boer goats

    toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have to agree.... with the others is very unlikely.... that it was a rock.....I am so sorry.... for your loss...... :hug:
  11. jenfrank

    jenfrank New Member

    Aug 23, 2009
    Even though I'm VERY new to goats, I have to agree with what everyone else has said! I've noticed that my goat will pick her favorite pellets out of her feed, like a kid eating m&m's one color at a time. And I've still not figured out how to get a pill/vitamin down her!! It just sounds like a terrible coincidence to me. And it sounds like your neighbors are going through what a lot of people go through when someone dies. They're looking for someone to blame, or to aim their anger (suppressed pain) at! So sorry they've made your daughter their target! I hope they are able to come to their senses soon.

    just a question from a newbie, what would have made the goat stop bleating?
  12. SDK

    SDK New Member

    Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea.. no goat would eat a rock. half the time they won't even eat all their feed!! they are PICKY
  13. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry about this.

    I have seen goat put rocks in their mouth and kid of suck on it, and if they do that is is because they are lacking something not because they want to eat it.

    Please try to tell your daughter IT IS NOT HER FAULT AT ALL. and shame on them for doing this to her and you.