The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goat morning folks, last time I browsed this forum was about seven years ago. Wow! Very different from what I remember...so user friendly! LOVE IT!

Well, we raise BoerX in central Ontario with low temps and high humidity all year, it's not exactly goat friendly but we're surviving and profiting.

My biggest challenge is growth rates. I take part in the GHIP with Dr. Andries (https://articles.extension.org/sites/default/files/w/e/ec/on_farm_Testing.pdf) and our ADGs are only around .3lb/day. Then once the fall comes, kid growth halts to .1lb/day. It is very disheartening when others are claiming close to 1lb/day ADGs.

Anyhow, maybe time spent in the GoatSpot will help figure this out for me.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Belated welcome back!

I really enjoyed reading that summary from Kentucky State. How frequently do they ask you to weigh the kids for data submission? How large is your herd?

I also run Boer & BoerX with a primary goal of meat production. There is another recent thread on ADG and I will try to find it and post the link here for you.

What are your kids grown on? (Pasture, hay, daily grain ration or creep feeder, etc?) And what age are you weaning them?

For the years that I have been very good at weighing the kids, I see a huge difference in my kid crop ADG when my creep feeder is available 24/7 versus once or twice a day grain feeding. I creep feed them about 2-14 weeks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Belated welcome back!

I really enjoyed reading that summary from Kentucky State. How frequently do they ask you to weigh the kids for data submission? How large is your herd?

I also run Boer & BoerX with a primary goal of meat production. There is another recent thread on ADG and I will try to find it and post the link here for you.

What are your kids grown on? (Pasture, hay, daily grain ration or creep feeder, etc?) And what age are you weaning them?

For the years that I have been very good at weighing the kids, I see a huge difference in my kid crop ADG when my creep feeder is available 24/7 versus once or twice a day grain feeding. I creep feed them about 2-14 weeks.
Hi SL, you only have to send in data after weaning so, it depends on how many rounds of kidding you have as to how often you sent in data.
An old farmer told me not to answer the "how many head to you have question" ... he said, its' like telling someone how much money you have in the bank ;)
I've used a semi intensive set up here. 2-4 hours of pasture, the rest of the time in confinement w/hay & fodder. No creep feeding. Does get 2lbs of concentrate. and we wean at 3 mos of age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts