The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new ideas for bedding, everything I put in there beds they eat. (Who would have thought, it Ha Ha) I've tried wood chips, cedar branches, hay, straw, most things like that I've tried. Also Is it ok that I put apple cider vinegar in there water? Does the vinegar help with parasites? And is there something I can put in there water to help prevent it freezing so much?

1 Nubian/1pigmy/1 pigmy mixed with boar/ & one goose.

·
nlhayesp
21 Posts
We use straw. When it is fresh they do it it but as soon as it gets soiled , they stop after an hour or so. In the winter, let the bedding pile up (uneaten hay and manure). The under part starts to "heat up" and compost so it makes a nice soft, warm bed. We use heated water buckets that are a all set on timers to keep the water from freezing but not drive up our electric bill.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use wood chips( not cedar) and let the leftover hay pile up and clean out in spring. Keeps everyone warm and on all of the coldest nights I put the buckets in the pile of gay and manure and it keeps it warm enough from freezing. When it's really cold , heated buckets.

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Mine eat the hay and straw, too. What I do is feed them first, then bed the sheds. They will still eat it, but not as bad. I just keep adding it until I have an adequate amount of bedding. Yes, it is fine to add ACV to their water. If it is the unpasteurized kind it has a lot of health benefits, is anti-parasitic, anti-viral, anti-fungal, and will usually increase their water intake. I know of nothing that you can add to their water to keep it from freezing except a tank heater assuming you have access to electricity.

·
2,850 Posts
If they are eating all of their soiled bedding, they are hungry........ goats should have hay available 24/7, mine won't touch anything once it falls from their feeder onto the ground, except to pick a choice bit that just fell. I leave the fallen hay to build up over the winter and the composting hay/pee/manure makes super warm bedding. I take warm water out to the goats 3 times a day and they drink each time, they love it, it is like us enjoying a cup of tea or coffee on a cold day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I'm gonna not clean out there stalls, lol, I will try it this year, and I can't run warm water to them 3 times a day;(...I don't have electric out at the goats anymore, I'm working on getting it fixed. And if I feed them as much as they'd eat. I'm afraid they wouldn't stop eating til they popped. Ty for the tips

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.