It's Hard :(

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Apr 26, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :help: I just sold four of my goaties today and am really sad to see them go. I sold two yearlings, an open 2 yo and a bred doe. I am trying to heavily downsize my herd to just 20 goats, but this is just so dang hard to let some of these guys go.

Has anyone else felt like this? I am happy they went to such a nice home and I got pretty good money for them, but it's hard to see some of these guys leave. :tears: I don't have to downsize them, but I should so I can focuss on the very best, but I guess i'm just having mixed feelings. Uhhhggg, this is so difficult!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes...........I to.. feel the same way....we downsized to........and we let alot of our older senior does go.......they were part of the land scape for a very long time.........and I still miss them today.......... :( It is never easy........

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :hug: i felt like that with a few of them...but i want the boers, and cant keep all of them, i'd have thousands. :wink:

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I so feel for you there........ I only had two "kids" born this year and was supposed to think of them as "house payment #1 and house payment #2....." I haven't scrounged up the courage yet to put them up for sale and I'm not sure I want to........ sorry, no help here :shrug:

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it was hard because while the people were picking out which ones they wanted, it finally hit me that this is it, you can't really turn back now. I haven't sold adult goats for a long time so seeing some of them go just gave me mixed feelings about the whole thing. But deep down I know it's for the best to downsize and focus on a smaller herd.

6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    It is hard knowing which ones to keep and which ones to go, just seeing them going off to a new home. I have sold animals and some I am so happy with the owners and others I still wonder about. I hope you can find some peace about selling some of your animals. Just keep remembering that this is the best for everyone.

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

We did a lot of letting go this spring too- I also sold quite a few bred does (that to me is the hardest thing to do!)
    We did it for the betterment of our herd- letting go some of our starter stock.
    The bright side to me was we went shopping with that money and upgraded a lot of our herd :greengrin:

8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, definately that extra money will be nice and less mouths to feed. I am looking at getting a new mare once I sell down some of the goats, so it's sad to see them go, but there's also a big plus side! I am feeling a little better today about it. Thanks everyone for your posts!!

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is hard for the first couple years. What I have done is those that I know I am selling I do not let myself get attached to them and I doe not ever really touch them because that is when I am sunk.

I sold a few older goats this year, and I did cry when they were being loaded. I am a real baby when it comes to selling them. You form that bond with them. then when I look at the goat bank account, I think " that was not so hard". I guess I try to convince myself of it. The good thing is everyone lets me know how they are doing.

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I just said goodbye to Carly's babies and Cocoa. They went to a very nice pet home. Those kids were the friendliest kids I've had to date. It was hard to say goodbye...but...the new owners are so happy, and they have children, so it'll all be OK.

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It is really hard to sell animals. . . . I don't have a hard time with the young, weaned kids but I sold Lyla several weeks ago and that was soooo hard! I started crying right as they were leaving. She is in a really good place though and her daughter is with her, so that does make it somewhat easier.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Olivia, that's exactly how I feel. I am totally fine with weaned kids, but when it comes to the adults I seem to be more attached even the ones I haven't had very long.